Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mixing Water Sources

Shinreyu

Reaction score
I recently moved to a house that's on well water, long story short I dont really trust the water quality for my axolotl (brown water, high in iron etc...). So I transported her taking all of the tank water and filter material to the new house. Tank parameters seemed good the first day but now I think my cycle has crashed. I'm getting readings of 0 ammonia, 2ppm nitrite and 40ppm nitrate. I am also noticing a bacterial bloom going on with cloudy tank glass.

I know I need to do a water change but would mixing bottled spring water into the tank have any negative effects or do I need to keep transporting buckets of tap water from my parents house? I can get another bucket of tap water from my parents house tomorrow but it will have to wait until tomorrow, is this too long to leave the water at those parameters? Any help is appreciated!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!