Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Emergency axie food!!!

kira

Reaction score
My axies live off a stable diet off earthworms which I dig up from my garden. The problem is that lately it has been so very very hot and dry where I am that earthworms at home have become very very scarce!!!!!

So I went down to my local pet shop (which I know sells live food) and found that they are out of everything execpt superworms (see the link below). So I thought, bugger!! I talked to the guy there and he has ordered in more worms but they woon't be in until after Christmas. So I grabbed the superworms because Slimey and Squishy have not had much to eat in the last fortnight and almost nothing in a week (I have been away too).

If I cut off the superworms heads and cut them up into small pieces, my juvies should be okay with them for a week???

http://www.piscesenterprises.com/jo...mart&page=shop.browse&category_id=54&Itemid=1

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do your pet shops have frozen bloodworms? These might be better than superworms, though they might mess up the tank. Beyond that, you can use beef heart or even lean meat as an occasional meal (but it shouldn't be a staple). Or perhaps a good quality pellet food?

kira

Reaction score
Actually, the shop normally has a lot off good foods, however they seem to be out of most of them today:confused:!!

Unfortunately, Squishy won't eat bloodworms anymore and neither will go near the pellets (the are way too hard I think and when soaked they still don't soften up).

geodaryl

Reaction score
try prawns or mussels.... you can buy them frozen from supermarkets and defrost them and cut them up if needed. mine love that...

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Kira!

Mealworms are ok for the time being but not as a staple (but you know that). You can crush or remove their heads but I don't think it's necessary to cut them up; they are pretty small, aren't they?

Have you tried a bait shop for worms? That's where I get mine.

If you have access to a garden you can also find lots other of yummy things like crickets and woodlice. (Warning: crickets float! and swim to the side and jump out! You have to feed them with a tweezers or your hand.)

Caudata Care has a good article on types of foods:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Again, you can find lots of things in a garden, and in a pinch you can use "human" food like pieces of heart or liver or small bits of fish filet. Caudata Care also has an article on the nutritional value of various foods, which is helpful because you may find things your axolotls like and want to make them a permanent part of their varied diet:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

Good luck and enjoy your summer - it's cold here!

-Eva

kira

Reaction score
Thanks I forgot about crickets!! I already have some for my geckos:cry: (I bought the mealworms!!)

Oh well, I am getting some yummy earthworms on Monday (YAY).

Nattles88

Reaction score
i have used mealworms as backup food cus where i live they live for ages in their container. just make a bit of a mess when they come out of the other end though, i think it is because they cant digest the wormies outer skin, i think

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i have used mealworms as backup food cus where i live they live for ages in their container. just make a bit of a mess when they come out of the other end though, i think it is because they cant digest the wormies outer skin, i think

Hi Nattles,

Mealworms should only ever be fed as an occasional treat as they are very fatty, offer little nutrition and can be hard to digest due to their hard shell. Sometimes as you've noticed, they pass through totally intact and undigested.

Mealworms should also be decapitated before being fed to an axolotl as they have strong mandibles capable of chewing through the axolotl's internals.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!