Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Constant stress during water changes?

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a relatively new axie owner (just finished my first year with my little dude). He's not had this issue until recently. Whenever I do a water change (10 gallons of of his 30 gallon tank about every 10 days), he acts really stressed and ends up sick (always with columnaris on his gills. I treat this with a 10 minute saltwater dip for 2-3 days and he's fine).

He moves his gills in a 2 second then 7 second pattern, stays still doing that for a while, then twitches and tosses himself around the tank, rinse and repeat. His temperature is stable (66-67 degrees the whole time). This has been happening the past two water changes, and I am at a loss for what to do. I use Prime dechlorinator, same bottle I've been using since I started the tank last June. I use frozen bottles to cool the water off before adding it to the tank. If someone could help me, that'd be fantastic.

Last edited:

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Test your water source in case there are any significant differences between the tank and new water. pH isn't usually a too much of an issue for axies but check it in case. The prime should detoxify any ammonia but it might be good to check levels from your tap anyways.
After my last water change my copper Steve was swimming around in circles, it looked like she was chasing her tail. After 20 minutes or so she stopped. Checked her for fungus and parasites but nothing. It was so odd! I also use prime, and have done so for months without issue.
Do slightly smaller water changes and see if the behaviour happens again. You could also put your axie in a tub while you're doing the water changes in case the water disturbance is causing stress. That's all I can suggest for now :/

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
I was thinking maybe trying 5 gallon changes once a week or so to see if that helps. I saw the start of Columnaris this morning, unfortunately, and I have no clue what's going on. I'll definitely check the tap levels and post the results, as well as those from his tank, when I get home from class. I remember that the tap's pH was around 7.2-ish, ammonia 2ppm, and 0 nitrites and nitrates last year while I was cycling the tank.

Thank you!!

FreckledLottles

Reaction score
Tap levels:
pH: around 8.2
Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Tank levels:
pH: around 7.6-7.8ish (colors were between both)
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: between 40 and 80ppm.

I know that's a bit high, and these were straight out of the filter. Would doing more frequent smaller changes fix that? Would nitrates be causing this issue? I was planning on doing a large water change in a couple of weeks anyway because I need to move the tank's location in the house.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!