Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White spots on wild type (and weird bulge under chin)

petghost

Reaction score
Hey everyone, i recently got two axolotls from a lady who couldnt keep them anymore, and i have concerns about the wild type(karkat) i recently got.
he has little white dots along his belly (and some on tail), they appear to be bumps, also sometimes he also has patches of skin that appear whiter then other parts of him (refer to images) he also has a very strange bump under his chin (he also is quite skinny, compared to his tank mate), all these things he had before i got him. is there any problems with him? and if so what can i do to help him?
xswiYVT.jpg

10Xtrxs.jpg

Z1Gvshp.jpg

Reaction score
Hello petghost! I’ll do my best to try and help you out. I am actually unable to open your images, but for now I’ll give you info based on your descriptions, and if you could try posting some more photos that’d be great!
Unfortunately the lump sounds to me like either a cyst or a tumor. Often these are the result of genetic abnormalities and there is usually little that can be done aside from draining the fluid with a hypodermic needle (if it does turn out to be a cyst), but this should only be done by a vet. Fluid build-up can also be caused by heart damage, kidney problems, nutritional deficiencies, and even old age. There's not a lot that can be done in such cases, and drained fluid usually builds up again. Try gently feeling the lump with your finger—if it’s hard, most likely it is a tumor, and if it is soft/bubbly or seems to be filled with fluid, it is probably a cyst.
As for the white spots, they could just be normal pigmentation/iridophores. It’s common in wild types—sort of like axolotl freckles ;)
I hope this was helpful. I would recommend taking your axie to an exotic vet. Do you have any in your area? Also if you need screenshots/instructions on how to post pics I’d be happy to give you some!

petghost

Reaction score
ive felt the lump on his chin and it does appear to be hard.
and there are maybe one or two exotic vets near me, but my parents arent down for taking him
ive tried to work out the image issue, but if theres any better way id be glad to know.
Thank you for your help

Attachments

• IMG_5331.jpg
    IMG_5331.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_5431.jpg
    IMG_5431.jpg
    490.8 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_5259.jpg
    IMG_5259.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 325
Reaction score
That is great, I can see the pictures perfectly! Your axolotls are adorable!!
Do you ever have difficult feeding Karkat? Does he he refuse food or show any signs of stress (curled tail, forward turned gills)? Do you know how long he has had the lump for? As I said previously, if it is a tumor, unfortunately there isn’t much you can do besides taking your axolotl to the vet—and even then, there still might not be anything they can do for him. Another possibility is an infection. There are some that can cause the throat to swell, and eventually the axolotl will stop eating... though it definitely sounds more like a tumor to me. Honestly I think the best thing for your axie is to take him to the vet. They will know what the lump is and hopefully how to treat it. If you are unable to do so, I would continue to watch him for the next couple of days/weeks. Watch how he behaves, especially around food. And keep an eye out for a curled tail or forward turned gills.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!