The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Photo & Video Gallery The place to share and discuss photos and videos of newts and salamanders.

Old 21st October 2005   #1
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 24
Comments: 1
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

I was organizing my photos and found these pictures. They are from our salamander expedition in Marin County, CA near Mt. Tamalpais back in March 2005. The pictures were taken by a friend who has much better photography skills than me.

An Ensatina
Click the image to open in full size.

Another Ensatina

Some Slender Salamanders

A California newt and some more having some fun

And two more non-caudata finds...A Pacific treefrog and unexpected scorpion

Finally some habitat pics

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2005   #2
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: pete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgpete is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Oops, I just realized the second Ensatina is from a different expedition around the same time, but to <font color="ff0000">(Edited)</font> in the East bay.

(Message edited by apples on October 28, 2005)

Old 21st October 2005   #3
mark

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Nice pictures, Pete, I enjoyed them. That's some gorgeous scenery!

Old 21st October 2005   #4
terry

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Very beautiful pictures. I especially like the habitat picture with the mossy log. Very Fairy Tale like! And that babbling brook is to die for!

Greets,
Terry

Old 21st October 2005   #5
Mike East
(mike)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgmike is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Excellent. I particularly like Ensatina photo # 2.

Old 21st October 2005   #6
joseph

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Great photos...especially the ensatinas! The scenery looks quite a bit like the area I go to 2x a year(Sonoma County)....except it seems like you guys got a clear sky instead of rain.

In fact, your trip had almost indentical finds to the ones I've made...same species of caudates and a scorpion of that sort. I have yet to find Taricha breeding though, and on one trip found a Dicampton.

Old 21st October 2005   #7
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

(Joseph S) We were originally hoping to find a Dicampton on the trip, you'll have to let me know where you found yours, for our next expedition.

Old 22nd October 2005   #8
jeff

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I love the last ensatina picture! What species is the long skinny "slender" sals?

Old 22nd October 2005   #9
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I assume it's generally a California Slender Salamander . There it a large number of species within the Batrachoseps family (See www.californiaherps.com/salamanders/salamanders.html) and I can't tell the difference between most of them other than their range. Batrachoseps attenuatus would agree with where we found them.

Old 26th October 2005   #10
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Wonderful photos!

I'd like to mention that while it is fine to mention the general area, please do not include the specific park in the future (and if you could edit it Pete). While most of us are conscientious minded, this is a public forum that is perused by people who might have other intentions.

Old 26th October 2005   #11
Pete
(pete)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I disagree. I think the information is important since the climate can vary so much in this area and salamander patterns vary as well (One ensatina has yellow bands over the eyes), none of the species are particularly difficult to find, I do not give the location within the park, and stating the park name may encourage people to visit a park they may have overlooked. Nonetheless, you are welcome to remove the park name if you wish, but I am unable to edit the post.

Old 28th October 2005   #12
pin-pin

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Your message is true Pete, and your first post describing the county is perfectly fine.

The problem is that with the people you want to encourage/share the herping experience, there have been threads in the past where people have described an area completely torn apart by someone who got there first. While most of the members here are conscientious, this is a public forum and we want to discourage even the remote possibility of a disaster like that happening through our forums.

If someone interested and intelligent enough, they always have the option of sending you a private message concerning the spots. Then it would be up to you to filter the "zomg where u g3t that, i wants it 4 my turtle tank LOLOMFG" from the intelligent replies.

Tags
(march, 2005), county, marin