Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

long time axie keeper all out of ideas

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Concerning your "blue" Axie: I have seen Axolotls similar to this and (unfortunately, I have to admit...) got one myself. If it is what I think it is it's not an "Axolotl" in a strict sense but a hybrid between Axolotl and Tigersal.

You might know that most of the axolotls kept in captivity are somehow hybrids because of the albino-crossbreeding-experiments Prof. Humphrey did in the 60's. What I mean is that it might be one of the "new" hybrids with a larger part of tigrinum.

I know of a "breeder" in Germany who (thoughtlessly in my opinion) did some new crossbreeding experiments between an Axolotl and a neotenic Tigersal to gain some new and interesting colors :( some years ago.
"Thoughtlessly" and "unfortunately" because this experiment had some serious and negative side effects, for instance reduced ability of regeneration and uncontrolled breeding and spreading/selling of these animals (the next generations do not look like the first one but still got a big part of tigrinum-genes).
I decided not to rear any of the offspring.

As for the nitrate in your tap water: I do not know any way to get rid of it (at least no non-chemical way) apart from plants consuming this nitrate. A reading of 25 is not too high, though, but you should watch the readings in the tank.

rkid_uk

Reaction score
thats a little confusing ,but i get the idea.it doesnt make sense whty he changed to white though,
anyways an update.i have ordered my new 350 litre tank.and will get that next week.now whats the best way to cycle the tank.should i use one of my filters from one of my other axie tanks.will this speed it up a bit
also the new tank has one of these internal built in filters.im thinking thats not good enough and wanted to know if you guys think the best option would to be buy another external filter.say one for a 300-500 litre tank capacity.
any good external filters you guys reccomend,.i normaly use eheim but have been looking at the tetratec 1200.any advice?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1