Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Nitrites high and there are flea things in the tank???

Clairey Beary

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Bit of history for you first. My tank has been set up for around 2 1/2 months now and my 2 axies have been living in the tank for around 3-4 weeks. Ive never had any problems with water parameters until now. Ammonia and Nitrites have always been 0 and Nitrates usually around 10. Temp is usually 15-20 degrees C. pH 6.4. I do weekly 20% water changes aswell as suck up any poop that gets done in the tank pretty much straight away. I take them out of their tank to feed so there is no mess in the tank from left over food. But over the last 2 weeks or so the Nitrites have been around 2.0 and the Nitrates 20-40 (which i know is ok as long as it is below 60). I started doing twice weekly water changes of 20% but this seems to not be working to getting it back to 0. The Nitrites (when they first fluctuated) were 5.0 but are now down to the 2.0 so it has gone down a little over the 2 weeks. How long does it usually take to get back down to 0 with twice weekly water changes? Both Tobias and Cleveland are showing no sign of stress.

My other problem is something I've just noticed today when getting in from work. My tank has got a little infestation of tiny flea type thing that look like little torpedos with propellers....hope that description makes sense. I've seen these before in the bags of daphnia i used to get when I bred babies a few years back. Does anyone have any idea what they are and what might have caused these to appear in my tank? Could it be from the algea build up? (even though there isn't much, i clean it off as soon as i see it appear.) And what can i do to get rid of these cause they are a nuisence!!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Claire, Tobias and Cleveland.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Claire, Tobias and Cleveland,

You are doing a fantastic job. Your tank conditions are well maintained. Just persist with what you are currently doing and you will be tip top in no time. Higher nitrates can cause an algae bloom especially if there is a light source available. Have you considered live plants to help buffer?

The tank critters you see are highly likely to be harmless and can just be left alone. The population spike usually accompanies a period when there are higher amounts of uneaten food, detritus etc. They can already be present in small insignifcant numbers in your tank or introduced upon adding something new to your tank, especially if not quarantined.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Tank_critters.shtml

Cheers

Clairey Beary

Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Rayson. I'll keep on with the water changes until it gets back to normal, fingers crosses this will be soon. My tank isn't in direct light. The tank is at the side of the window but we do always get the sun in that room 1st thing on a morning until about 1-3pm.

I have been thinking about live plants lately actually, esp the Java plant. I think they look really nice. Also the moss balls (althought hese wouldnt really look right in my tank).

Im so glad the little critters aren't harmful. Big relief. Will just be extra vigilant with when they poo so i can get it out straight away.

Thanks again Rayson.

Claire, Tobias and Cleveland.:talker:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1