Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Spreading green/black spots HELP!

rachellag

Reaction score
Recently I noticed quite a bit of grey fuzz growing on the wood (bought from the aquarium) in my axies tank. The wood has been in there for 8 months and only has developed this fuzz recently. Don't know if there is any relation, but the weather has gotten much colder.

I removed the wood, put a teaspoon of rock salt in the water, and discovered that now my axie has similar colored spots on him! They first started around his genital region and during the course of this week have spread up his back towards his head. The spots are not as fuzzy as the photos posted of axies with fungal infections, so either it is another species of fungus, or something different all together like a bacteria. It actually looks like dirt on him that I'd like to just fall off when he swims. His tail tip is slightly curled and looking a bit funny in shape.

I attached some photos, albeit very poor in quality.

What actually causes fungus to grow? Can I do anything without having to fridge him?Any advice would be appreciative.

Attachments

• DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 604
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 477
  • DSC00060.jpg
    DSC00060.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 507

rachellag

Reaction score
I have his water checked regularly at the aquarium. I last had it checked two weeks ago and they said it was perfect. Water temperature is curently 12'C, though it may go up to approx. 16 during the warmer parts of the day. He didn't have the spots two weeks ago, but the fuzz was there on the wood.

As you can see in the picture of his set-up, I removed the wood a few days ago with the thought that it was the breeding ground for whatever this foreign matter is. That is when I added the salt. His spots have since spread up to his neck.

I also tried to get a better picture of his tail, but I don't think this one will be of much use.

Attachments

• DSC00061.jpg
    DSC00061.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 563
  • DSC00062.jpg
    DSC00062.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 450

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Yeah, the pics actually don't help much. But, if you suspect it is a bacterial infection, following the fridging and salt bath procedures on caudata culture and axolotl sanctuary. Don't put salt in his actual tank though.

How often do you do water changes, and how large are they?

rachellag

Reaction score
I don't know what it is, and don't want to treat him incorrectly. From what I gather unnecessary salt baths can be detrimental.

I change half the tank water (~15L) every two to three weeks with water that I have cycling in another spare tank.

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hi,

Based on the information you have given and what I can make out in the pics, your case sounds very similar to this POST. There are some links given within the post about a tiger salamander that was treated successfully. If you feel what you have is what this post describes, I would suggest seeking out a vet to get the suggested medication (and to verify it is axolotl safe) and hopefully, this will help your poor little guy.

Best of luck and keep us posted. ;)

rachellag

Reaction score
Hi,

Based on the information you have given and what I can make out in the pics, your case sounds very similar to this POST. There are some links given within the post about a tiger salamander that was treated successfully. If you feel what you have is what this post describes, I would suggest seeking out a vet to get the suggested medication (and to verify it is axolotl safe) and hopefully, this will help your poor little guy.

Best of luck and keep us posted. ;)

OH NO! I read the outcome of poor Koe. Though there was a lengthy dialogue, noone seemed to actually address what they thought the black stuff was?!? I would agree that my axel looks similar to that, though in a much earlier, not as drastic stage. There were no suggestions of salt baths. I am confident of my water quality. I am just trying to ponder a possible link between the fuzz on the wood, to the appearance of these spots on him.....

dragonlady

Reaction score
Sorry, didn't mean to scare you, just trying to help diagnose.

There is a link inside that post about the successful treatment of a tiger salamander. This tiger was soaked in a 1/4 tab of Sulfatrim 8.00 T. It should be noted that salt baths seemed to aggravate this condition.

I suggest that you contact a vet and suggest this medication - maybe print out the part of the post that discusses this treatment plan. Here is a list of Australian vets from Axolotl Sanctuary.

I don't know about the connection between the log and this condition. Maybe a vet could answer that question. Did you happen to have a UV lamp over that log? While plants thrive under UV, amphibians don't and there was a suggestion of a connection between UV and the outbreak on the tiger.

I know you feel confident in the water quality, but your axie's gills and tail show signs of stress, so I'd have the water tested again just to rule that out, plus that information may be helpful to the vet. You stated that these spots are spreading, I think what has kept this from spreading quickly is the fact that your temps are so low for the most part.

At this point, I think it would be best to seek out the advice of a vet, hopefully that list will prove helpful and I sincerely hope you can get answers soon. Take care.

rachellag

Reaction score
Just an update. I did some thorough gravel cleaning, changed half the water twice (a week apart) though water tests showed perfect parameters I did it anyway, added some water conditioner, and got him some nice juicy earthworms (his favorite) though I feel bad cutting them in half, and now everything seems to be on the up. His spots have nearly disappeared. I wonder if they were just debris particles stuck to him? Originally I thought that, but decided I really shouldn't rub him to find out if they came off. Anyway, Rose is looking happy again. :D:D:D

Thanks for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!