Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whiteness on my axolotl's gills?

Laaine

Reaction score
So I noticed it about a week ago.. but I am not entirely sure if it wasn't there before. Maybe it has always been there? It is only on 3 gills and it doesn't cover the entire surface. Anyways, he doesn't seem sick. He swims around like usual and he eats 2 cubes of Sally`s Frozen Freshwater Frenzy (which has brine shrimp, bloodworms, cyclops, daphnia and watercress) every 2 days. They are pretty big cubes too and he seems to like them. Are these safe to keep him on continuously or could it be causing some sort of disease? I have read about colmnaris and I really hope he isn't getting it. How would I know? Thanks !

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Can you describe it better? Or provide a picture.

As for the food, it sounds like it would be pretty low in calcium. I would suggest adding earthworms to his diet as well. Maybe offer the cubes every other or every third feeding.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!