Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloated Fire Salamanders?

grapeape

Reaction score
I have two young fire salamanders and they appear to be bloated. They are healthy and eating well. They are active every night. Here are some pictures of them and their enclosure.

Attachments

• photo-8.JPG
    photo-8.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 532
  • photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 523
  • photo-5.JPG
    photo-5.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 366

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am not convinced that they are bloated. Perhaps just very well fed.

grapeape

Reaction score
Oh that's good news. The one with the red blotching is fatter and his mid section bulges out. I Tried giving them a salt bath but took them out after about a minute of watching them panic and try to get out, I felt bad for them

JoshBA

Reaction score
I notice you're keeping them on pine needles and wood from a pine tree. I would think that the oils (gives them the scent) from the pine needles as well as the acidity (that keeps plants from growing under pine trees) would be harmful to most salamanders. Take a look at the Caudata Culture safe wood article. So, if the salamanders are in fact bloated, it could be because of the acidity of the pine needles causing the salamanders to release ions and electrolytes.

grapeape

Reaction score
Ill checkout the article and change the leaf litter right now. I noticed the problem before I changed their tank to this setup though.

JoshBA

Reaction score
Yeah instead of pine needles just dead leaves (from deciduous trees) would work very well as a ground cover.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!