Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Young axolotl floating, bottom up?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just posting about Gally, my five and a half inch Golden Albino who has been a new addition to her 2.5 foot tank for 3 or so weeks now.

Gally eats very well generally and seems to be growing at a good rate since I got him. However, the last three nights I have been noticing that he has been floating, usually just on the surface of the water, but also with his bottom up. It may be because I had a bit of a change in their feeding when I had to stop feeding him for a day because he swallowed two large prawns and I had to wait for them to pass through his system - I could literally see the prawns as lumps in his tummy, they were so big. This happened two days ago.
Ever since he has been fed two worms a day.

He shares a tank with my 7" Wildtype, Toothless. His substrate is sand, the usual temp is 20 degrees celsius and the water parameters are 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite and 10 Nitrate. The tank is fitted with two filters, a block of PolyFilter and a small colony of Ceropods. He is usually fed two earthworms a day, in the morning.

Now, I know that floating with the bottom up is a sign of constipation but this appears to have happened for the past three nights, and I don't seem to be finding as much poop as I would expect for two axolotls. Do you have any advice? It always seems to happen between 9 - 12 at night too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!