Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

!!!Zombie Lotl!!!

amandahiilani

Reaction score
I was away overnight this week and when I got home I discovered that my leucistic axolotl (Lychee) had shrunken gills and the pink in them was pale. He or she has been eating the sand substrate and hasn't been passing it fantastically so I assumed bloating was whats going on so I chilled my lotl last night on the middle shelf in my fridge for about 5 hours. When I checked up on Lychee this morning there was no heartbeat, gills weren't moving, lotl was floating and responding to me touching tail, legs, chest, etc. Due to extreme sadness I put off the burial for a while and about 25 minutes later my lotl was swimming again so I checked for a heartbeat and there it was! gills are still short but color has returned and gills are being used. Now I'm like.... Uh zombie for a pet? I think I need to take this fella to a vet.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
He's not a Zombie, hes close to dying.

To provide ways to help can you answer this question:

Do you check your water for Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates, and PH? Ammonia and Nitrites are produced from your Axolotls waste and possibly left over food in the water. Usually the gills shrink because your water quality is high in Ammonia and Nitrites, these two toxins BURN they will damaged your Axolotls skin and gills and eventually kill him. Your tank is required to be 'cycled'.

Read these links:

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Water Quality
Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander

It should be your priority to keep your tank cycled, and free of these toxins or your Axolotls will not be healthy and be prone to die.

I'm not sure how your checking for heart beats but I would not handle your Axolotl by hand.

Put your Axolotl in a separate container/tub and change the water 100% everyday with cool dechlorinated water, this is the best way to give him a chance to survive as he needs clean water to allow the healing process.

amandahiilani

Reaction score
I did check my levels and everything was normal, that's why I thought this was so weird. What on Earth could be the problem?

E

Elise

Out of curiosity, how were you checking for a heartbeat? It's usually very difficult without a vascular Doppler.

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
If you have checked your water parameters what were the readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, NitrAte, and PH ?? And whats the temperature of your tank ???

amandahiilani

Reaction score
Ive been able to see Lychee's heartbeat ever since I found him in the pet store if I look closely since he is leucistic.

Skudo09

Reaction score
How old and big is Lychee? It sounds like Lychee is very young if you can see internal organs. Any update on his/her condition? Assuming Lychee is below 5 inches, sand really should not be used at that age. do you have the exact readings of the parameters?

Lexolotl

Reaction score
Your axolotl must be very young if you are still able to see his heartbeat...

I do suggest taking your axolotl to the vet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!