Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Looking for a Plants for a Planted Tank

PixelPillager

Reaction score
Hello! I currently have a long 20 gallon tank with a water temperature of 16ºC (60.9ºF). I would like to turn it into a planted tank, if at all possible, for some axolotls. I have extensively searched Google for different types of freshwater plants, but all I have found are plants that survive in much warmer temperatures that 16ºC (60.9ºF). If you have a planted tank and have any plants that can survive in colder temperatures, please tell me.

Thank you,
PixelPillager

Aristotlthelotl

Reaction score
Hey! I haven't had experience with live plants before, but I do know that axolotls don't like much light exposure, which I assume would be needed for growing live plants, so maybe it's a better bet to go with plastic/silk plants if you're interested? They can look just as great! Sorry if I've been no help, but good luck! :happy:

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
This article should help: Axolotl Sanctuary

'Some recommend plants:

Anubias Nana - great plant, virtually indestructible, hardy and low maintenance.
Anubias Isabelle - very tough, taller than the Nana.
Anubias Barteri - just like the Nana, but a bit bigger and with rounder leaves.
Java Fern - one of the toughest aquatic plants you can get - grows anywhere!
Java Moss - grows anywhere as well, can be made into a sort-of "carpet"
Lilaeopsis - this is like grass, you can make a beautiful lawn in your tank with it.
Eleocharis (Hairgrass) - same as with Lilaeopsis tends to be a bit taller though.
Pongol - this is actually Mondo Grass, so it's not a true aquatic but survives (doesn't grow, just survives) for ages submerged, not really recommended.
Congensis - quite striking for a centrepiece plant.
Riccia - Riccia generally needs a lot of light to grow properly, thus only suitable for brighter tanks.
Narrow Chain Sword - another grassy-type thing. Looks pretty, grows happily.'

JM29

Reaction score
And don't forget these two fast-growing cold water plants :

Egeria densa, either floating or planted
Ceratophyllum demersum, without roots

AxolotlChris

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, you can use floating plants to minimize the light exposure to your Axolotls but still allow photosynthesis. Also make sure there are plenty of hides for your Axolotl to take cover if it chooses

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!