Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My axie is floating on its side

asprine

Reaction score
The axolotl is floating on its right side most of the time, atm i change water every day, i have 2 on an 80lt. tank, and temperature of the water is roughly 18-20° C, can someone tell me what it may be, the other axie seems fine

flan123

Reaction score
This might be a bloat issue or possible impaction. Whats your substrate? Is he feeding/pooping as normal?

I'm not vet....is it always the same side he floats on? Maybe, if it is, it could be neurological?

asprine

Reaction score
No substrate, It helps me clean the tank way better, he eats and poops normally, with a ferocious appetite

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Try fridging the affected axie. Place it in a tub with water enough just to cover its back but not excessive such that it permits floating. Try it for 3 days and observe if the abnormal posturing persists. Are there any other odd behaviour such as twitching, writhing, incoordination? Any other signs of illness and stress?

asprine

Reaction score
Mmmm apparently not, he just does it randomly, like whenever i change the tank water. Which is very often, he doesn't do it, he stays on the bottom like a healthy boy... straight tail, normal looking gills, but then, sometimes i find him just floating and not responding, I haven't noticed any more symptoms

ahuizotl

Reaction score
Hi Mario:

Sometimes axies are like that, do what Ryson says you should see some improvement, your housing facility seems to be well, perhaps you are feeding a too big prey item to your axolotl.

¿Is the stomatch area bloated at plain sight?

Perhaps it has something to do with your tap water quality, have it checked for bleach, chloramines, nitrogen and metals.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Occasional floating is quite normal. If you see excessive floating, perhaps you should first check the water parameters and temperature. Elevated temperatures and poor water parameters are the number one cause of stress in axies.

Axolot

Reaction score
I was just having that same problem.
If its only when you change the water, maybe the water is supersaturated? Are you aging the water before you put it in?

reptilekid0325

Reaction score
Try fridging the affected axie. Place it in a tub with water enough just to cover its back but not excessive such that it permits floating. Try it for 3 days and observe if the abnormal posturing persists. Are there any other odd behaviour such as twitching, writhing, incoordination? Any other signs of illness and stress?

what would be the best temperature to fridge the axie? mine keeps flaoting on his side and I dont know why. its normally the same side

Lonewolf

Reaction score
Mine as well but I have another mine in the same tank and it’s seems fine i don’t think it’s the water for mine anyone I keep big rocks and nothing they can eat that’s they shouldint empty bottom what should I do ? She sometimes seats perfectly up right but then moves and back on her left side
image.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!