Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: A few requests for advice?? Thank you!

hairdressica

Reaction score
Hiya!
I've had Bowie for around a month now (yay!)
I'd really like to be able to sex her( I think it's a her?) for mating purposes eventually.
How can you tell? There's no raised bump thing near the butt??

I'd also like advice on my tank and parameters
Bowie is currently in a cycling 10G. I change the water daily as my water always has quite high ammonia. She seems fine when dealing with it so I'm not worried.
I'm now showing Nitrates and nitrites
Am I close to finishing my cycling?
(I also changed the water after this test and ammonia is much lower)

I'm going to upgrade her to a 20G once it's finished cycling
Would I be able to keep two axies in the one tank? (When box axies are the same size)
How hard is it to look after an ultra juvenile axolotl (like, only front set of legs)?

(I've attached a bunch of pictures. I hope you can help)

Attachments

• IMG_7681.jpg
    IMG_7681.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_7687.jpg
    IMG_7687.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 280
  • IMG_7689.jpg
    IMG_7689.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMG_7688.jpg
    IMG_7688.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 291

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Your ammonia and nitrite look very high from your photo. Do you use water conditioner? I would suggest changing at least 50% of your water every day with conditioned water in till ammonia and nitrite are in safe rang. I have been through this when i first got my newts, that is basically what i did. After about 2 or 3 days your ammonia and nitrite should test in safe rang consistently, then go to daily water changes of 15%. I don't know how experienced you are, but you don't need to mess with filter unless it gets clogged, bacteria on the filter is most impotent. Should take about 6 weeks to cycle aquarium.

Other people on this forum might be able to tell you if you're over stocking your tank,that might be why you have such high test results to. Good luck

Canecorsonewt

Reaction score
Substrate might help with cycling, might be easier to grow bacteria on then glass just my guess. If you do decide to use sand now be a great time to put in new tank, it can make water cloudy for a few days even with a few full water changes.

I would Not put substrate in tank your axolotl in know, just leave cycling tank with axolotl be in till it cycles, besides doing water changes.

hairdressica

Reaction score
I am aware that my parameters are high.
I change 50% water daily. Bowie does. It seem out of character when AMMONIA is around 1.0
I had substrate in my tank, but it caused too much weight so I took it out.
I keep an incredibly close eye on my tank with Bowie in. I still worry parapets are high, but I'm doing the absolute best I can. I use my Nutrafin Water conditioner and my Nutrafin biological additive with water changes. And I use correct doses.

Any advice for my other questions?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!