Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What's happening with my cycle?

Fireguy

Reaction score
I am currently on day 11 of my cycle, and my ammonia hasn't dropped at all. My nitrites have sky rocketed a day or two ago like it was supposed to but my ammonia still hasn't dropped. I am not using any heater to speed up the process so is this normal? Should I wait a bit longer?

My ammonia is 4ppm and my nitrites are now 5ppm.

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Keep waiting, some tanks take longer to cycle than others. Are you still adding an ammonia source like food/ammonia liquid?

Fireguy

Reaction score
No. The websites I found online said to not add any more pure ammonia until it's gone for 24 hours. And then add some every other day so it gets eaten up. I think I put too much ammonia because its reading almost like an 8ppm on the test kit. I did a 20% water change and I'll see what happens.

MnGuy

Reaction score
Waiting sounds like the right move. Tanks, especially coldwater ones, can take a while to cycle.

Fireguy

Reaction score
Okay well I can't undo the water change now lol. I'll test the water tonight and see the difference. I feel like my ammonia levels were too high and it was stopping the cycle.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1