Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cristatus group egg problem - a legend?

JM29

Reaction score
OK. Concerning these 50% :
Unless one deals with hundreds of fresly laid eggs and provides optimal development conditions to the embryos, there is almost no chance to obtain exactly 50%.

That's the statistical law of geat numbers.

With small numbers, one can obtain very different percentages, only by chance.
If the conditions are bad during incubation, that may lessen the percentage.
If moulding eggs are not collected, it may incease the percentage.

uwe

Reaction score
so my first small group all hatched or deceased. The rate was 5 larvaeout of 11eggs, which is in the range predicted!

So i have set up new 11 eggs from the continous egg-laying, but I am pretty convinced about this 50/50 rate.

What convinced me even more than the pure number, was that all 11 eggs were fertile, that means they developed and 6/11 just stopped on a certain point of development (as described in lit) and degredaded.

Thanks for all the input.

Uwe

shnabo

Reaction score
So I was digging back to old threads and I came across this one, and something I had read previously came back to me. After spending a while looking for it, I finally found it:

http://www.caudata.org/triturus/temp/dan.gif

This article is about inducing a second breeding via artificial hibernation, which is nothing new to us at this point/probably isn't the best for your animals anyways in terms of stress/needing that time to recover, but there was one line I did find very interesting.

On the right hand side, he states "If the females are kept without males, they will deposit less than a dozen unfertilized eggs." So I am wondering if the earlier post about the two different crested newts producing more than 50% hatch rate, may have been because the female was kept separate prior?

Has anyone attempted this, or noticed such a thing? I had kept females separate from a male just because I didn't have some before breeding season, but haven't been able to observe that yet, however I will be keeping my eye open in the future and may attempt to keep males and females separate (of the same species) until breeding time and see if it yields any interesting results.

uwe

Reaction score
Hallo,

the reason for the 50% rate is not the separation of male/female. It is a genetic abaration in this family. In addition all eggs are fertile, but 50% decease.

About the article of Dan: On the right hand side, he states "If the females are kept without males, they will deposit less than a dozen unfertilized eggs." So I am wondering if the earlier post about the two different crested newts producing more than 50% hatch rate, may have been because the female was kept separate prior?

He described that it is possible to have more than one breeding/year in this group. The separation increases the appetition of the genders.

Best

Uwe

caleb

Reaction score

Attachments

• tailbud.png
    tailbud.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 350
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!