Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Resurrection of <i>Paradactylodon</i>

TJ

Reaction score
New report:

Phylogeny, evolution, and biogeography of Asiatic Salamanders (Hynobiidae)

Authors: Peng Zhang, Yue-Qin Chen, Hui Zhou, Yi-Fei Liu, Xiu-Ling Wang, Theodore J. Papenfuss, David B. Wake, and Liang-Hu Qu

Publication: PNAS, May 9, 2006, vol. 103, no. 19

excerpts:

"We show that four-toed species assigned to Batrachuperus do not form a monophyletic group, and those that occur in Afghanistan and Iran are transferred to the resurrected Paradactylodon."

"...although the species assigned to Batrachuperus from Central Asia share three significant traits with Chinese members of the genus [aquatic habits, large premaxillary fontanelle, and four toes on the hind limb (19, 27)], Batrachuperus is diphyletic, and the Central and Western Asian species are relatives of Ranodon. However, these species are biologically distinct from Ranodon, which is only semiaquatic and has five toes in the hind limb, and they are not appropriately assigned to that genus. The species B. gorganensis was once assigned to a monophyletic Paradactylodon (28), but this genus has not been recognized (27). We here resurrect the genus Paradactylodon and assign to it three species [mustersi, persicus, and gorganensis; the last may be a synonym of persicus (29)]."

S

sergé

It was to be expected. There was already a paper showing that Batrachuperus was non monophyletic. But nice that it is out now. If you can get a pdf of the paper...yes, please!

W

william

Hi Tim, very interesting, i'd love a PDF copy of the paper if at all possible

TJ

Reaction score
Serg, when one clicks on your profile, it says "profile does not exist." Want me to alert John to this? I have your mail address at my home though.

William, I can't send attachments through your Caudata.org address so please mail me your other address
biggrin.gif

S

sergé

Dear Tim,

yes ,please. that's strange, can't remember to have lost my profile somewhere...and I even did some donations againt this year
biggrin.gif

Yes, please report it to John,

thanks in advance,

sergé

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!