Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Caecilians

Necturus101

Reaction score
I got 4 adult Herpele squalostoma, the rest were Geotrypetes seraphini of 27 of them.

Here are some pictures from the shipment. Enjoy..!

30j1bmb.jpg

o0ba5w.jpg

zsjwa9.jpg

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Nice! Seems like you have a lot on your hands now. You've been talking about your project for a whole year now! Good luck!

frogman

Reaction score
Wow. Were did you get all of them! They are Beautiful.

Necturus101

Reaction score
Surprising as it maybe, they are beyond well in adjusting to new temperatures and environment. I expected a few deaths within days from arrival as it is well known that they die fairly quickly.

The shipment came with three sick ones, one of which have neurological problems from resulting of capture (may have been squeezed very hard). The rest seem to have an infections that maybe caused from the stress of capture and shipment and with resulting low immune system it has wreck them. They have settle and seem to have a good road of recovery. After reading hundreds of literature, these infections maybe caused by a unknown virus, so this is an interesting investigating to experience.

The rest are doing just great, I see some going through the leaf litter eating worms and hiding when I brush some leafs off to see if any have surface for potential health problems.

I am excited to see if my largest female maybe gravid. Their is a high possibility of that as gravid females give birth in the next few months.

EasternNewtLove

Reaction score
What will you be doing with the babies if the female is gravid? Those all look great! I never even knew caecilians existed until a few months ago XD

Necturus101

Reaction score
Here's my female Herpele squalostoma. She is looking terrific! Just took these pictures today as I was browsing through the litter I notice she was on the hunt for worms. I hope to have a few offsprings from her anyday. She looks plump around the abdomen so it's a good sign indeed!

v7wfgm.jpg

t8vqys.jpg

wja07c.jpg

yama

Reaction score
Most impressive.I love caecilians. Could I ask a few questions??? What type of soil are you using and what temp do you keep them. I hear for some types loamy soil is best. I also hear that some Old world species dnt like it very wet at all. Also did you seed their enclosure with worms or do you just feed as needed. Would you use spring water, aged tap, or delorinated water like one would for fish??? I ask these questions because I too am interested in observing these wonderfully secretive little creatures. I have kept natans and the camroons.I would like to get a few New World and Old World species. The one you have get relativly large I think. I plan to purchase he reproduction book i found on amazon for 120.00 I wish you the best luck with your project.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!