Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Dwarf clawed frog out of water

JDW

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new here, this is my first post, nice to meet you all.

I have 2 African dwarf clawed frogs which are doing well in a tropical fish community tank (I spot feed and always check they aren't out-competed).

Today one of the frogs is shedding, which as far as I can tell is going fine, but he has crawled out of the water to sit on top of the filter. The filter (I use a Fluval U4) is positioned so that the flat surface on top is just a tiny bit above the water level, and he's climbed up there.

I literally just watched him do it 5 minutes ago, so it's not like he's been up there for ages. I'm just really surprised, because everything I have read says they never leave the water.

I'd worry about the temperature or water quality, except that the other frog is behaving completely normally. Do they sometimes do this when shedding?

Thanks for any advice/reassurance/pointers!

John

JDW

Reaction score
I'm not sure this is a particularly constructive answer - you write as if I'm the first person ever to keep them with fish, when it happens routinely all the time with no problems.

I've taken steps to reduce the filter flow and create more hiding places, and the frog is behaving normally again, and eating well.

elKendo97

Reaction score
You can think whatever you want, but do not need be very smart to to know that the mix of species is not advisable, let alone amphibians with fishes (unless they are part of the food, which is not the case .. .)

HodgeaPodge

Reaction score
No need to be rude about it...

I have never heard of them coming out of the water like that. I would check your water parameters (ph, ammonia, etc.). This frog might just be more sensitive BECAUSE he is shedding. If its all fine he might just be an odd ball. ;D

elKendo97

Reaction score
Sorry if my comment has seemed offensive, but I think, and I miss, I'm sure, that the problem is to keep the frogs to fishThe urine fish is toxic, besides small frogs may be intimidated by fish contributing with that stress.
Regarding "always have been mixed seamlessly" sorry to say it is wrong, because than us we do not see or are not aware not mean it that way.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!