Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Bleeding Out Of Gills

HELP

Reaction score
I have a 3 month old Axie, recently i have been noticing blood coming from his gills when i feed him its not so much but its worrying me, he is eating the blood worms which i feed him ( half a cube daily ) and has no trouble swallowing, the water is 24ºc on average, i am 100% sure its not a blood worm hanging out of his gills its blood but not so much.

here is a photo of him, i do use gravel im not sure if thats a problem and causing him to bleed ???

IMG_7409.jpg

HELP

Reaction score
occasionally he does eat the gravel then spits it out, i'm not sure whether the gravel has caused a cut maybe inside his gills.

If there is any way to heal the cut faster or maybe prevent it from bacteria please tell me

NexSocius

Reaction score
Hiya.
First up, you will need to get rid of the gravel, it will eventually kill them regardless of spitting it out.

Are you sure he’s actually bleeding? Sometimes their gills go a vibrant red when they’ve been swimming around, due to the increased oxygen flow (just like we get hot and puffed when we exercise).

Also what are your water parameters?
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Agree to the above. You want to remove that gravel asap. Barebottom is fine for little axies.
Is the blood you're seeing just a bloodworm? I've heard that they sometimes come out through the gills.

HELP

Reaction score
Does anyone know how i can change the sand out
sorry im just a bit new

Hayleyy

Reaction score
Take the axie out and put it in a tub so they don't get stressed from all the movement. I would use an aquarium net so you don't have to worry about scooping out water. Removing the substrate might have an effect on the cycle so you could put some of it in a few mesh bags or stockings (so the axie can't get to it) and leave that in the tank. Then over a week or so remove more and more substrate. You don't have to do this but it will be easier on the cycle.
Getting out the last bits of gravel is always really hard. When I have done it I usually end up using my hands (well sanitised) for the last bit.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1