Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: How dark do axanthic mels get?

Ehhz

Reaction score
A local breeder has a new batch of axanthic mels, some GFP. I love axanthics, but I'm worried the melanoid would make them turn out to be much darker than I am hoping. If anyone has pictures of adult axanthic mels, I would love to see them! Or any other knowledge on appearances. Thanks in advance. :)

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
they normally are a grey-purple color, some get darker then others but most ive seen are like a mid-tone blue-grey (Eeyore from winnie the Pooh is the closest i can think to explain)

Kitan

Reaction score
I actually dont have any axanthic 'lotls, so I cant answer your question, BUT I would be hesitant if I were you, especially if you are new to Axolotl care; axanthicism is the inability to produce pteridines (the yellow\orange pigmentation) and pteridines play a role in the immune system, so they have an even lower survival rate than other morphs :(

Kitan

Reaction score
If you are just looking for more of an eyore coloring (as opposed to that purple hue), might I suggest getting a melanoid and putting him on light colored sand or a light towel under the tank if you are not using substrate? Juvenile mels try their hardest to blend and will often tend to lighter on light substrate :p

OH! One thing I CAN answer for you! From my research on genetics, Axanthic axolotls ARE ALL Melanoid :) How dark they are depends on luck and substrate color.

axolotl nerd

Reaction score
A local breeder has a new batch of axanthic mels, some GFP. I love axanthics, but I'm worried the melanoid would make them turn out to be much darker than I am hoping. If anyone has pictures of adult axanthic mels, I would love to see them! Or any other knowledge on appearances. Thanks in advance. :)
old thread and old question but this is mine
961100E4-C4AE-44E3-BD23-CC4C64861543.jpeg
C4F29989-4492-4FD2-AC7B-DCA2EA28E2C4.jpeg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!