Axolotls not eating...

Skyfall

Reaction score
Country
United States
I hate to sound like a total noob, but... well I guess with Axolotls I am! lol

I have 3 in a good size tank, but over the last month they have just about stopped eating. One hasn't eaten since May 1st, one that hasn't eaten since April 27th, and the 3rd is beginning to eat again.
The one that hasn't eaten since April did take food yesterday but wouldn't eat it... "chewed" it a little then spit it.

This was a tank I found a spermataphore in, so I don't know if the lack of eating could be mating induced (although no eggs, so I think it was a dud :(), seasonally induced, or if something is wrong...

Their water is at about 64 (and under) F, and I try to offer a variety of food options, but so far no luck. They still have a decent amount of fat, so they don't look like they are starving but I am beginning to get worried.

I am planning on taking in some water for a test in the next couple of days as well as offering ghost shrimp and phoenix worms here very soon...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Skyfall

Hi Skyfall,

64F is well within the optimum temperature range for axolotls, so I think we can rule the temperature out as the problem.

Water quality issues is one of the main culprits of inappetance. If you could post the test results for Ammonia (most important), Nitrite and Nitrate when you obtain them, this will give us a clear idea of what is going on in the tank.

If you could also advise on substrate type (sand, gravel, barebottom tank, etc), filter type (canister, undergravel, sponge, etc), tank dimensions (Length x Width x Depth) and if there is any water current going on in the tank - these details will help us ascertain if there are any issues in the tank environment which may be stressing the axolotls.

Has your tank been cycled?

When they were first brought to us they were in little kritter keepers; 1/cage. I have since upgraded them to a 30 gallon tank (about 12"w x 30"l by 17"h [~8 1/2"h with water]). This was done back on Feb. 13th, and as per my notes they were eating fine after the move. It has been recently that they have mostly stopped eating (although one of 3 is starting to eat again).

They were originally on smaller rocks (about 1-2 cm in diameter) but I have also removed most of those and cover what is left with larger rocks (3-7 cm, avg. 5cm in diameter), as I consurned about them getting impacted with rocks.

They also have a 10 gallon in tank filter (I believe whisper brand) which is also in the tank containing our Dicamptodon neonate and he eats fine and doesn't seemed bothered by it... I know they are different but just letting you know incase it helps.

I took a water sample and will get it tested tonight and will let you know about those results as well.

Is it normal for them to stop eatting for a while then pick back up? This is my first time with Axolotls and I'm not sure what is normal behavior. All part of the learning curve right??:eek:

Got the water results...
Nitrate and Nitrite are ok, all in normal range
Ammonia though... a bit high...
I'm gonna do a partial water change and I got some zeolite to put in the filters as well.

Any other advice?

The high ammonia reading probably has something to do with it. You should consider getting a larger filter more recommended for the size of your tank, three axies make a lot of mess and having rocks/gravel has your bottom substrate traps in all that nasty stuff= high Ammonia. Having a bare bottom tank or using sand is really the best choice, because it's easier to clean. What kinds of foods you trying to get them to eat?
I like to feed mine a mixed diet of pellets, live worms and other various insects I catch outside, also pieces of cut up raw fish and shrimp. No red meat or liver.
One thing that will help you, get a long pair of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forceps#Locking_forceps
they make feeding so much easier, you hold the food and can put it right in the axies face. The food gets snatched right up and you know exactly how much the axie is actually eating and will somewhat help to keep the tank cleaner because there won't be a bunch of left over food laying around.

Last edited by a moderator:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back