Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help. Fat axy? Pregnant or something more serious?

pinkangel729

Reaction score
HI, i hope you can help me.

I have recently been away and my mum has been looking after my 3 axies, i returned home to find my wild type looking very bloated. Tummy area all swolen and coloaca?

I do have a boy in the tank with this wildtype female so it is possible she could be pregnant. but i am not sure if it is impaction instead.

I have put Wilma in the fridge for now as i wasn't sure what to do really.

Picture attached....

Thanks

Attachments

• 212.jpg
    212.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 8,030

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What substrate are your axolotl on..not sure if I see gravel. I would keep Wilma in the fridge for a bit as I suspect impaction, though hope its eggs( fingers crossed) . If they are on gravel you should remove it. Do keep us posted.

Do you have any more photo's of her..the flash reflection is on her neck area .

Last edited:

pinkangel729

Reaction score
What substrate are your axolotl on..not sure if I see gravel. I would keep Wilma in the fridge for a bit as I suspect impaction, though hope its eggs( fingers crossed) . If they are on gravel you should remove it. Do keep us posted.

Thanks, it was very small gravel, she would have to have eaten a hell of alot to get that impacted.

Changed the gravel now to sand and will keep wilma in the fridge, how long would you recommend?

She is still eating and shows no signs of stress , hope she gets better.

Kerry1968

Reaction score
Poor thing, she looks uncomfortable. I think that with the cloaca also swollen it's likely to be constipation/impaction. Hopefully if it's only small gravel she's been on the fridge should hyelp her pass it. You must be so worried, I hope she soon gets better.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Thanks, it was very small gravel, she would have to have eaten a hell of alot to get that impacted.

Changed the gravel now to sand and will keep wilma in the fridge, how long would you recommend?

She is still eating and shows no signs of stress , hope she gets better.

It does not take much gravel at all to cause impaction, even small stuff.

I would keep her fridged for a few weeks at least, and feed here something like night crawlers. Also, monitor her bowel movements. They will not happen as often when fridged, but it is a very wise idea to check them for gravel.

Have a go at the Aquatic Substrates Article on Caudata Culture for more information on this subject. repeated impaction incidents can result in death very easily. The gravel can cause serious inflammation that quickly leads to fatal systemic infections. Personally, I highly suggest going without a substrate for quite a while. I have had axies pass gravel years after they were exposed to it.

Last edited:

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Really worried about her :-(

She looks so uncomfortable, her belly is stopping her feet touching the floor.

Will she gradually get smaller or?

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you able to post some more pictures of the axolotl....If she is seeming to get bigger it may be bloat, I think a trip to your local vet may be needed for further treatment.

pinkangel729

Reaction score
I can post some in afternoon tomorrow, i am not sure if she is getting bigger or not really, it is quite hard to tell.

What is bloat?

pinkangel729

Reaction score
OH no :-( i hope not.

Poor Wilma.

I have found a vet i just need to see if they will be able to see her tomorrow after i finish work.

Would impaction cause her tummy and coaloca to swell?

Thanks for the help so far

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Its likely to be an onset of bloat. Your axie requires antibiotic therapy and continue fridging. Are you very certain this axie is female? It looks very male to me. The clocal bulges are prominent even from the top view.

Impaction is a possibility but as i mentioned to Julia yesterday, the first thing i thought of when i saw this photo was still bloat or ascites.

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Its likely to be an onset of bloat. Your axie requires antibiotic therapy and continue fridging. Are you very certain this axie is female? It looks very male to me. The clocal bulges are prominent even from the top view.

Impaction is a possibility but as i mentioned to Julia yesterday, the first thing i thought of when i saw this photo was still bloat or ascites.

Well she looked female before this swelling, could hardly notice the clocal area before. Will try getting to a vet but I don't have much cash. Wilma seems to be looking a little less swollen this morning.

pinkangel729

Reaction score
Took wilma to the vets, x ray showed no gravel or air so he thinks possibly fluid or infected tummy, so she is on antibiotic injections every 3 days. She is now back in the fridge. To be honest I don't think she will pull through :-(

pinkangel729

Reaction score
The vet said to put her back in the main tank but she seemed to really be struggling so i think i will keep her in the fridge for now as she seems more settled in the fridge.

I need to inject her again in three days, i am a human nurse not a axolotl nurse but will try my best!

Thanks for the support.

The vet wasn't 100% sure on what it is but assumed it could be a basic tummy infection or possibly organ failure, so just need to see how it goes. She isn't showing signs of stress or pain so that is my main concern really.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1