Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axie has been floating upside down for a month!

Velaria

Reaction score
Thanks, Rayson! I will definitely look for calcium gluconate. I'm sure I can find it.

I've tried earthworms and pellets so far, and he's not interested in those. I'm all for making him some food in my food processor, as long as there are no earthworms in the mixture- otherwise, I will never be able to eat any food prepared in the thing ever again, lol! So would it be ok if it was just fish, shrimp, etc.?

But I'm just thinking that he'd probably be most interested in something alive- even before he was fridged, he floated upside down for a month, and every day, he just loved eating blackworms while he was upside down!

I'm really thinking that, maybe just for a few hours, I shold take him out of the fridge so that he can regain his appetite, and then I can offer him some bloodworms... any thoughts?

The good news is that his stomach does not appear to have any bloody areas anymore, and his shoulder is completely healed :)

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Velaria,

That is exellent. I agree if you can find live blackworms, they are most ideal. If you are concerned about getting some food, any food into the axie, even a blend of fish and shrimp for now is better than nothing.

How long has this axie been fridged till date? Is it still floating upside down? I personally don't really like the idea of moving the axie in and out of the fridge just to warm it up to feed. I would recommend you stabalise the axie first and only when you see visible marked improvement in the condition can you try moving the axie from the fridge to a separate hospital tank whereby you can then feed the axie. What is the ambient temperature at where you are at now? If you are still subjected to high summer temperatures, i rather you hold back till it gets cooler.

Cheers.

Velaria

Reaction score
The axie was first fridged when I started this thread... I want to say June 4th or so??

The room temperature here in the daytime is probably about 80 degrees fahrenheit indoors, but at night, I'd say it's about 70 fahrenheit. It's going to be this hot through September- definitely too long for him to wait to eat!

I'll get those blackworms tomorrow and see if he eats them, and I'm still going to get the calcium gluconate.

Thank you!

Ctebel

Reaction score
Dear Valeria (Tina) I have the similar situation and I am writing you directly from Ukraine to ask how did you treat him and is he ok now? Now my axie is in fridge. I also feed him with bloodyworms. Here in Kiev no vets know how to treat axies so I will take all the responsibility on my own and ask you what medicaments did you use while treatment? What helped? Injections are impossible because of the small size of my lil beast :) He is only 3 cm long. And I love him very very much. Please, help me to save this creature.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind regards.
Darina

dragonlady

Reaction score
Hello Darina,

Unfortunately, you are responding to a very old post and I would suggest that you start a new thread of your own to ask for advice.

jojo72

Reaction score
hi , this is my first post on this site - i was looking for help as my4 month old axie, bella, has a very swollen abdomen and has also been swimming upside down for the last 2-3 weeks. after reading the posts by Rayson i have now followed your advice and have fridged here in the hope of helping her. thank you for your advice :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1