Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The C. chenggongensis thread yet again (II)

TJ

Reaction score
Ah hah, allow me to answer my own question here:

Fei, L., Ye, C.-Y., Huang, Y.-A. and Liu, M.-Y.
Atlas of Amphibians of China (1999)
Henan Science and Technical Press. Zhengzhou.

The assessment also mentions these two publications in the bibliography:

Yang, D.-T.
The Amphibia-Fauna of Yunnan (1991)
China Forestry Publishing House. Beijing.

Zhao, E.-M. and Adler, K.
Herpetology of China (1993)
Society for the Study of Amphibians and Reptiles. Oxford, Ohio.

TJ

Reaction score
Hi Jesper, seems we posted our posts a minute apart and you beat me to it
lol.gif

Article?

I think the reference is just to the book...

N

nate

That's not a new twist, but rather the same old mistaken information. This is just a case of people following already published material, not actually verifying anything. Business as usual.

Zhao has already told Angus that he feels chenggongensis is an invalid species, so that alone should tell us how mistaken the info is.

P

paul

Today I saw some of this beautiful newts.
The are really fantastic, greenish - some with light orange/yellow spots, smooth skin and vertebral ridge not prominent!
Would like to keep them, but they are to expensive for me.
And I do not give a new judgement - tell me from what part of Yunnan they come and I say you if they are cyanurus, chenggongensis or an unknown (sub)species.
crazy.gif

Paul

J

jesper

What?
You saw animals different from those shown here?
So these animals shown here are not the same as the ones you saw??

M

mattias

et al. means "and others". It refers to other authors. If et al., then it´s not refering to the "Fei, L. 1999, Atlas of Amphibians of China. Chengdu (China), Chengdu Institute of Biology, p. 1-432" as that work is written only by Fei himself.

Just a point...

/M

J

jesper

Hi Mattias,
Yeah exactly, it was the missing et al in the Atlas that made me suspect there was also an article.

(Message edited by jesper on October 18, 2004)

H

harry

as you all could see in Gersfeld those newts were total different from cyanurus cyanurus. The photo of the last discussion was a photo of my cyanurus cyanurus. You can never determine a chenggongensus by only a photo, because the cyanurus-group is very large.You have to see the newts to give your opinion. They also look different by different light.
Paul, they were not expensive!! they were for trade!! And also the cyanurus were for trade. So I brought to Gersfeld something special and I would like to come back with something special without using money. But this was for me the last two years only possible when i paid a lot of money!! So this year I sold a lot of my CB so that i can buy also rare newts. I sold a lot of dobrogicus, white carnifex all own CB2004 and some cyanurus of Angus all CB!!!. This gaves me the opportunity to buy expensive newts.
So Paul. Start breeding some cyanurus for next year and sell them. Then you easy can buy chengongensis.

And I prefer trades
a frenchman promised me to trade with me some of his 4 corsica's with my cyanurus but when they saw my chenggongensis they only gave their little!!! newts when i gave them my chengongensis. Then I was so pissed that I gave the 2 females and 1 male as a present to one of my german newts-girlfriend, who breeds very succesfull every year. We will both breed them!
24579.jpg

M

mattias

Harry, for curiosity may I ask about the price of the chenggongensis (since I planned to go to Gersfeldt this year but something else came up in the last minute)
sad.gif
?

/M

J

jesper

Harry,
"and some cyanurus of Angus all CB!!!"
You mean to say that Angus' animals are CB?

P

paul

Hi Harry,

"Paul, they were not expensive!! they were for trade!! And also the cyanurus were for trade. So I brought to Gersfeld something special and I would like to come back with something special without using money."
That's a good way! I also like to trade newts, but actually I do not have the right ones.
sick.gif

And it was great that I could see them.

"So Paul. Start breeding some cyanurus for next year and sell them. Then you easy can buy chengongensis."
Harry, I will give my best. Hope the cyanurus will also do.
famous.gif

Paul

H

harry

I gave them free to a good friend.
Yes jesper. Most of the cyanurus are CB. Angus bred succesfull with rare species.
cyanurus grows very fast. I have also more than 50 larves in this moment and they grow spectaculair. I think they are almost adult in 1 year. They are very easy to breed!!!

24609.jpg

(Message edited by jennewt on October 19, 2004)

H

harry

Here the same larves of my cynops cyanurus on a photo made today (age 3 months) as you see they are very light and become spots. .
24684.jpg

H

henk

Currently I have both groups home, form the cyanurus I only have males, from the chenggongensis I only have 1 female. the cyanurus are young and were very pale when they arrived, the chenggongensis was also pale. After setting them up on the same gorundcover in a tank the cyanurus started changing color, the cyanurus don't. I have currently set the animals together in the same tank to see eventual changes in behaviour or if there's a male female interest...
I have asked both Harry and Tim to shoot some images of the animals in millimeter paper so that we may do some morphometric comparaisons. I do have the impression that my chenggongensis female has some brighter colorations lateral dorsally but convincingly. I need to be able to shoot images without flash to show the differences since I get the impression that the flashlight wipes out some details. I had hope to do so this weekend , but unfortunatelly I didn't succeed with he bad weather we had (I need some good sunlight) so I put my hopes on next weekend

TJ

Reaction score
I find it interesting to see how dark they can become, such as the one on the left here

25259.jpg

It looks like it has a prob with its rear leg. Perhaps nipped by another newt? A bit worrisome...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1