Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Descaling and Cleaning Filter

Hoagii

Reaction score
Hey all. My apartment has very hard water and lately I've really been noticing mineral buildup on the top of my aquarium, filter and spray guard. There also seems to be decreased output from the filter, and I suspect this is from mineralization inside.

I'd like to try to clean some of it up, partially for aesthetics, but also because I don't want to risk my filter becoming damaged.

What's the best way to clean mineral deposits from filter medium? I know I'm not supposed to replace the filter, but it's been running for ~10 months and I've only cleaned it once (cycle had crashed).

Any suggestions for cleaning the filter without crashing my cycle?

Luca1980

Reaction score
Hi Leah, I have this issue on my African cichlid tank. They love hard water and I add cichlid salts whenever I do a water change. I also have a big buildup of minerals on filter inlets/outlets, along the water line etc. You could use something like a pipecleaner to get into smaller, hard to reach areas etc. I found they come off if you just scrub hard. In terms of crashing your cycle, maybe just do one area at a time whenever you do a water change? You could also add some seachem stability to help compensate for any lost good bacteria, its a really awesome product that I add to all of my tanks, the axies included. I hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1