Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Water parameters?

Neatscorpion

Reaction score
So I've had 4 juvenile axolotls in a 38 gallon brand new tank with a marineland canister filter going for about 2 weeks now. It was a sudden birthday gift by my loving partner who had no idea tanks had to be cycled etc. I am currently setting up and prepping to properly cycle a 55 gallon tank. I clean up after every meal, have done daily water changed (yes using water condition/dechlorinator) my water tests seem to be off to me though! Any advice, criticism/questions are greatly appreciated. The picture is day 2 of the same exact testings! After I post this I am going to test the pH and Ammonia levels of my conditioned water I usually keep 5 gallons prepped.

Attachments

• water.jpg
    water.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 215

kcoscia

Reaction score
It is weird that you have ammonia and nitrates but no nitrites. Could be your tap have nitrates and your tank isn't cycled?

DSaxolotl

Reaction score
No criticism! You have test kit, you are aware of water changes and conditioning, all you need now is to know how to cycle the tank! Id say that more than average new keeper right there :)

You should do a test on your tap water see how that is. Then let the tank run for few days and do a test there then and see the results.

Anyway keep in mind, before you do any test shake the api bottles A LOT give it a good minute or two each before you use it and then see if that makes any difference.

But since you have your tank set up for 2 weeks I would say its not cycled. If you have any questions on that feel free to ask :)

Ex:

https://i.imgur.com/LzKU1ko.gif
cache.php

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1