Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Meet Baymax!

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
So my axolotl arrived today! Honestly, pictures don’t do these creatures enough justice! They’re so fascinating ! I hope he isn’t stressed out, but I mean he was shipped from Washington so;) Only concern is I tried feeding him a pellet. He didn’t eat it. So then I tried feeding him a worm I dug up. He sucked it in and then chewed on it and then spit it out. I thought the piece just might be too big so I tried a small piece. He did the same thing with the other piece. Is this normal and I’m just overly concerned or should I actually be concerned???
Please lmk if I’m missing anything as I’m a beginner with axies!!!

Attachments

• CDAA5DEF-4132-4C47-AAA6-BB69E7CB778E.jpg
    CDAA5DEF-4132-4C47-AAA6-BB69E7CB778E.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 083B7D04-9DB0-49A5-AFD1-F24F04C3718A.jpg
    083B7D04-9DB0-49A5-AFD1-F24F04C3718A.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 3BBBECFF-654E-49C6-A09D-E6C6B7A5FF02.jpg
    3BBBECFF-654E-49C6-A09D-E6C6B7A5FF02.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 128

tundrabadger

Reaction score
Normally I would say try smaller pieces with the worm, but if he just arrived today I'm not overly surprised he didn't eat. it can take a little time for them to settle in...one of mine took a solid three days before she ate anything. So don't be too alarmed if he's not eating right now, let him get settled, offer him some food tomorrow and see what happens.

He's gorgeous! How big is he?

Brousecasey12

Reaction score
Normally I would say try smaller pieces with the worm, but if he just arrived today I'm not overly surprised he didn't eat. it can take a little time for them to settle in...one of mine took a solid three days before she ate anything. So don't be too alarmed if he's not eating right now, let him get settled, offer him some food tomorrow and see what happens.

He's gorgeous! How big is he?

That’s what I’m thinking! I mean I think it’s good he tried to eat at least! I’ll try some worms in my backyard again and see how he takes it!

I would say he’s about 5 inches maybe a little smaller! I’m in love with his gills! They’re so beautiful!

tundrabadger

Reaction score
That’s what I’m thinking! I mean I think it’s good he tried to eat at least! I’ll try some worms in my backyard again and see how he takes it!

I would say he’s about 5 inches maybe a little smaller! I’m in love with his gills! They’re so beautiful!

Yeah, the one I mentioned wouldn't even look at food during that time, so I'm impressed that he tried. Granted Virginia is prone to extremes. Try him again tomorrow with either very small worms or worms cut in to small pieces and see how he does.

the gills are magnficent. I presently have gill envy....that is one seriously beautiful axie. I hope he settles in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!