The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 29th March 2018   #1
SaltyFishHipser

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: SaltyFishHipser is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Can I Use This As a Chiller Alternative?

Hello! I am currently planning on buying an axolotl soon, and I was surfing the web on alternate ways for chilling an aquarium - and I stumbled upon this.

Does anyone know if this would be safe to use in the tank? Would it hurt the axie in any way??? And If it doesn't, does anyone know if it would be able to keep a 20 gallon tank cool?

SaltyFishHipser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Can I Use This As a Chiller Alternative?

I was looking through the questions and answers on that item and it looks as though it doesn't actually cool the water, only monitors it and turns on your chiller/fan when temps get high?
If you don't want to spend the $$$ on chillers (I've finally found one in Australia on sale, but still a couple of hundred $) you can try using aquarium fans. They drop the water a few degrees and you can get heaps of sizes. I've had one for a few years, ordered on Ebay from China. Just don't let it drop in the water, they're not waterproof (I learnt the hard way).
With the fans though, they will create some water flow so you may need to find a way to reduce that
Goodluck!

Hayleyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2018   #3
tinasvfx

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: tinasvfx has shown reliable knowledge
Default Re: Can I Use This As a Chiller Alternative?

It's been abnormally hot the last week for BC weather, so I used frozen water bottles to keep Bop cool until I had time to change her water and make it a bit colder for her. I ended up moving my fan closer to her tank too.

Our summer has been very flux. If it's a steady heat, later on, I may have to look into an aquarium fan for her. :/

tinasvfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquarium chiller, chiller, help?, new amazing member