Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Interpet - excellent sponge filter

J

jennifer

I bought this little filter a while ago, and I finally have a tank with deep enough water to use it. The water level is at about 10-11 inches, and I had to cut the main tube slightly shorter in order to fit the tank.

You get the Good Eye Prize if you can spot 2 or more larvae in the second photo. Additional credit if you can ID the species
rofl.gif

78049.jpg

78050.jpg

S

samuel

i could only see one, not good observer or maybe im getting blind
smile7.gif

andrew

Reaction score
Haha i can only find one also

But i had a couple questions..

I recently converted my enclosure to a substrate free setup and i am looking for a good filter for this kind of setup (i used an undergravel filter before). This looks like a good alternative to the undergravel filter.

Does it just require an aerator to run?
Does it cause much current?
About how much did you pay for yours?

Andrew

(Message edited by andrew_taricha on February 12, 2007)

A

abrahm

Most sponge filters run on either an aerator or a powerhead. This is definitely not a powerhead one. You can see where the airline hooks up, and because of this they don't make a real current.

I can only see one larva also... And there is no way I can identify it.

R

ralf

One larva in front of the brick on the left and in the lower half of the picture yet close to the middle. One more larva (looking in the opposite direction than the first) and possibly also a third larva (with its head turned away from the camera) on top of the left brick. Hard to tell the species, especially with the flash wiping out colouration details (except the golden iris). Salamandrid larvae and pond dwellers (stout bodies and overall tank setup). Winter breeders with an extended breeding respectively egglaying season (because of the different sizes of the larvae). My guess would therefore be Cynops ensicauda ensicauda respectively Cynops ensicauda popei.

J

jennifer

It only causes a tiny bit of current, right where the bubbles come out. Another good thing is that it doesn't suck up the Daphnia.

I don't remember the cost, but sponge filters are pretty cheap. I tried to Google it, but I can only find this product on UK sites. The price seems to be 1-4 UK pounds, which I believe is well under $10. I wish I could remember where I bought this thing, I can't find it on any US websites.

I was really joking about ID'ing the species. They are T. marmoratus (which got an early start with eggs in January). Good logic, though, Ralf. You did find the 2 that I see in the photo.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1