Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Submergible heater question

AlienFirefox

Banned
Reaction score
Hey all
I was just curious about something. I bought a cheap submergible heater for my siamese fighter from china. its one of those cheap **** heaters there like 8 bucks or so and I dont trust it 100%. I was wondering what are the chances of getting electrocuted?

frogman

Reaction score
What animal would you be using it for? Most aquatic caudatas dont need heaters, in fact just the opposite, cold water

frogman

Reaction score
Ok, i thought it was an axie. I dont use heaters, good luck

asfouts

Reaction score
Its a siamese fighter fish (Betta) mate
they like warm water around 25 celcios.

Heaters arent even necessary for those. And the only way electrocution will happen is if there is an exposed wire. I would just return the cheap heater. Cheap heater means lower quality glass generally. Lower quality glass runs higher risk of breaking and exposing wires.

Unless you keep your house cooler then 65 F heaters are not necessary. Bettas prefer quality water over heat.

JessKB

Reaction score
Heaters arent even necessary for those. And the only way electrocution will happen is if there is an exposed wire. I would just return the cheap heater. Cheap heater means lower quality glass generally. Lower quality glass runs higher risk of breaking and exposing wires.

Unless you keep your house cooler then 65 F heaters are not necessary. Bettas prefer quality water over heat.

Bettas are tropical fish that require tropical temperatures. Any glimpse of a reputable care sheet shows this.

asfouts

Reaction score
Bettas are tropical fish that require tropical temperatures. Any glimpse of a reputable care sheet shows this.

The temperatures for keeping bettas are highly debatable because they depend on where the betta lives and the temperature. During the summer shallow water temps can reach 85 F which is why the betta has a labyrinth organ. However, that is an extreme, and water temps even in the most tropical places can drop to 60 F. The fact that bettas become listless below 75 F is false. I have bettas in two setups one sitting at 70 F and one at 75 F they both act the exact same. My bettas also generally live 2-3X longer than the care sheets call for. Therefore if the room temperature is below 65 F he should use a higher quality heater. Due to the laws of physics the water, unless altered, will stay at ambient temperature.

What people fail to understand is that bettas don't just live in shallow pools, they also live in slow moving streams, which can be cooler then standing water.

If it is at all helpful im saying 65F is an extreme anything below requires a heater, 70-77F is optimal temps, 85F being the other extreme.

water quality is far more of an issue for bettas than temps

ZombieAxolotl

Reaction score
I used to breed betas at room temp. (And two years of that was in Alaska lol)
They are an extremely adaptive fish.

I would only worry if your temp dropped below 65f

As far as the heater, like stated before, cheap means cheap.
Never attempt to remove it unless you unplug it and let it cool for 30mins at least. Check your wires regularly. Don't pull on them unnecessarily as it could cause some exposure of the wires.

Tigermoth

Reaction score
Hi there, I too used to breed Fighters in the UK room temperature is fine and a gentle flow of water, not too powerful. I'd ditch the thermostat if your ambient room temperature is over 16c as even some trops will live happily at this temperature. (consideration of the other tank members of course needs to be checked before you do this).

Good luck with you're Betta I've been seeing (Betta) Moon fighters around and makes me want to breed fighters again xxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1