Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Fungus?? Advice needed

Cthulhu

Reaction score
I was checking out my axie today and i noticed a small, white little puff on her gill. I'm assuming it's a fungus because ive been having trouble cycling her tank...

if i do a bigger water change and lightly rinse the plants, hidey house, etc. will she maybe be able to fight it off herself? ive seen people doing salt baths when their axies have multiple fluff balls/ gill deterioration. The little puff is pretty small and she's active, eating, and her gills are in pretty good condition.

i just love her very very much and i dont want her getting sick :c

LSuzuki

Reaction score
Yes, with good water, she will almost certainly get over it on her own. I replied to your other post on the cycle issue ... Are you monitoring nitrates too? Sometimes if nitrates go above 40 ppm, you will start to see fungus issues. (Or it could be the ammonia/nitrite since the tank isn't cycled.)

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Thank you for replying to both of my posts! And yes I have the master test kit and i moniter the water very frequently. The water has been ok since my cycle restarted (ph of around 7, ammonia is like .25 ppm, nitrites and nitrates are at 0)

The nitrites were pretty high before I did the change that messed up the cycle, so it could've been because of that. But thanks for giving me a little peace of mind!

Cacique

Reaction score
I think unless there is something that's pretty bad, the usual recommended course is just clean, cold water. I would definitely not think of salt baths now, but you could ask about it if it continues to progress.

Cthulhu

Reaction score
Thanks guys! No more white fluff for a while now. I made sure that I kept the water super clean and used a new water dechlorinator that seemed to help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1