Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: What is this?

Bertybot

Reaction score
Hey all, I know i havent posted at all but thats because i havent had reason too i just keep this site in need of help or education but now i kinda need some advice..

See Bertie is just over a year old now and recently (about a week and a half ago) i found some white cotton wool like stuff in her tank, i took note of it and cleaned her out. I saw no more of that stuff until about 2 days ago, there was alot of it but it was clinging onto all the plants in her tank. she was even "producing" some. I have a friend whos had axies for years and he took a look at her and says shes very healthy no fungus or impaction (because she is passing this stuff if she was impacted she wouldnt) but he said hes not seen anything like this before except for when an axie is laying eggs. only thing is.. Bertie lives on her own and has never been with another tank mate ever (not even my ex's 2 little axies).. i am going to tag some pictures and see if anyone can help me as im concerned. My friend thinks she may be laying some unfertilized eggs as on super rare occasions they do this.
now for the specs:
About 2 months ago i upgraded her to a new tank at nice 160L ( i know big but she loves to swim and its made her so happy)
Her substrate is super fine sand that shes been on for ages
She gets half water changes every 2 weeks and has a slow water fall filter to help keep it clean
no real plants are in her tank only plastic
she eats axolotl pellets and earthworms, which she is eating perfectly normal!
her Temps are 18C which i check all the time sometimes 20 but i keep my eye out on this.
her gills are big and pink so shes very healthy as my friend has been working with axies for over 10 years.. but hes stumped and so am i! :confused:
please bare in mind the pictures i took she was not long fed and needs her clean out tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_20160803_181341985.jpg
    IMG_20160803_181341985.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20160803_181348227.jpg
    IMG_20160803_181348227.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 229

auntiejude

Reaction score
Yes, it looks like she's pretending to lay eggs and just producing jelly. I once had a female produce unfertilised eggs with no jelly, and another just a big blob of jelly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1