Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hynobius dunni

maxim

Reaction score
I have a group of 6 hynobius dunni but what is best for housing them in 3 / 4 water or just pure water with no land?

Greetings

Attachments

• DSC01677.jpg
    DSC01677.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 670

GeoNewt

Reaction score
I keep a small group of H. tokyoensis in a 2' tank that's got no proper land area, just a couple of inches of water and lots of rocks/wood and moss for them to hide in - I don't see them out in the open water much, but they spend most of the time semi-submerged amongst the rocks etc. The water stays pretty clean as they're great eaters. If you haven't seen it, here's a caresheet for H. dunni which has much more detail: Caudata Culture Species Entry - Hynobius dunni

Attachments

• IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 631

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Juveniles are more aquatic than adults but what they really like is for the larger part of the year is to hide in holes which are partially flooded.
I keep them with looooots of hiding places that range from emerged but moist, to completely submerged. They choose what they like at any time. The open ares are very shallow and there is a small area of deeper water just in case they feel like getting a swim which they sometimes do and to encrease the volume of water and facilitate maintenance and water quality.

The first picture is what their previous tank used to be like, and the second their current one. You can´t really see in the picture but it is a maze of bricks and crevices.

Attachments

• P1080303333333333.JPG
    P1080303333333333.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 709
  • dunni tank.JPG
    dunni tank.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 637

methodik

Reaction score
Hey,

sorry for that non-topic question, but is that some kind of Hydrocolyte growing out of the water in your tanks, Azhael ?

Many thanks in advance

Jakob

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, the one in the first picture is possibly Hydrocotyle vulgaris, the one in the second picture is H.verticillata.

Molch

Reaction score
those are really cool looking tanks, Az. What kind of moss is that growing on the rocks, and how do you keep the humidity high enough so that the emerged moss won't dry out?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers Molch :)
The current tank has been invaded by Tradescantia and now you can barely see anything, but the dunni sure are loving it!
Which rock do you mean? Almost all of the moss is just java moss.
I keep the humidity very high by placing a glass over the tank lid. It covers 95% of the surface. The longest tips of the moss do dry out eventually, if i forget to mist the tank, but the bits closer to a substrate are expanding nicely.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1