Question: Virkon treatment and axolotl

timwhyatt

Reaction score
Country
France
Hello All,
Wow, What an awesome site this is!! Im looking forward to exploring all the info!!

I do have a question, I am about to collect my first axolotl, i have already set up the tank and his tank mates/ dinner are already installed. (guppies). I have notices one have a couple of white spots on her. Now normally i would simply treat this but with the arrival of the axolotl I did not want to put anything in the water that might be harmful to him.
From research I have found that chemicals such as malachite green can be very harmful to axolotls.
The normal whitespot treatment i have dose not properly state its ingredients (i have herd this about a lot of leading brands) so not sure i what to use it.
So... this brings me to Virkon. does anyone have experience using it to treat axolotls/fish?
other than a disinfectant. Or can anyone suggest another treatment safe for use with fish and axolotls.
Any info will be greatly appreciated

thank you in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

I've not read about Virkon treatment. But if the white spots are fluffy, they're probably fungal, in which case you could pursue salt baths. There's a tutorial for this over in the sick axolotl section.

You'd do better to post a photo of your axolotl so that more experienced members can take a look. The spots could just be part of her colouration.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's saying that the white spots are on one of the guppies (Ich/Ick).

I would definitely hold off on adding the axolotl until the parasite has already been eradicated; it seems like Ich can sometimes affect axolotls. Malachite Green is supposed to be very effective, but I remember Methylene Blue being less harsh.

Lots of golden axolotls will have white spots which is part of their normal colouration.. What colour is your new addition?

I agree that you should hold off all treatments until you can post a pic of the axolotl on here & wait for advice from an expert member (always check to see if the person offering advice is a long standing member with good rep - some try to be helpful but are yet to have the knowledge) ;)

Chemical / Medicinal treatments are not normally recommended as there are much more effective gentle natural ways of treating axolotls - salty baths & black tea treatment tends to be the best ways to treat axolotls - one thing pet shops advise endlessly is to buy chemicals to use as treatments, mainly because they NEED to make a sale rather than offering correct advice (salt & tea are so cheap) its the same with their advice on feeding beef heart / bloodworm / etc - earthworms are free so it's not in their best interest to advise proper food.

Please post a pic when you get your lotl - then we can see if it's normal or not :)

<3 >o_o< <3

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think he's saying that the white spots are on one of the guppies (Ich/Ick).

I would definitely hold off on adding the axolotl until the parasite has already been eradicated; it seems like Ich can sometimes affect axolotls. Malachite Green is supposed to be very effective, but I remember Methylene Blue being less harsh.

...Oh dear. I totally misread that! Sorry, Timwhyatt.

Although, Nikki, I'd like to qualify with a good experience I had lately. The pet shop I went to had clearly been doing some research into 'Lotls, because the guy told me not to use any chemicals at all. (Although everything's chemical and that's another debate—) Not even dechlorinator (just to let the water stand for 48 hours). I gave him my best skeptical look because chloramines! His explanation was their permeable skin and sensitivity. But it was great to see that he wasn't just trying to get customers to buy stuff they didn't need, and had been doing research, even if it wasn't according to the general consensus we see on here.

( And yeah, I try to let people know my knowledge only comes through reading, and doesn't count as proper experience! )

Wow!! Thank you every one!! what a great response!!

Sorry if i didnt make it quite clear but yes the whitespot is on one of the guppies. Im thinking to quarantine said fish and give the tank a decent water change...? my axolotl will not be arriving until next week. the pet shop are willing to hold him for a few extra few days at no cost.

As for water and its chlorine, im am very lucky to live in the french alps and near the evian region so we have very pure water, i have never had a problem with fish in the past.

Where can i find a good link to 'black tea' treatments? sounds fascinating!! i have never herd of this before...! i will be looking at the salt baths too!!

Thank you very much again for the awesome info!! its very much appreciated!!

I will be posting pics when the little guy arrives!!

Well, actually, so long as you have the time and patience to keep dechlorinating water and cleaning tubs, you could collect your axolotl and keep it in a separate plastic tupperware tub, changing the water daily, and cleaning the tub every second day with a mix of bicarb and salt.

Nikki describes the process really well. You could keep it like this until you've got your tank sorted, and any issues with the guppies resolved!

D'oh... my apologies for not seeing that the white spots were on a guppy o_O

That what I get for having 2 glasses of red after a really long day :eek:

I look forward to lots of lotls pics when you get your new buddy :D

Did the pet shop warn you these guys are mega addictive? ;) lol they are!

<3 >o_o< <3

I would remove the afflicted fish and aggressively treat the tank. A simple water change isn't enough in certain stages of the parasite's life- they could be establIshed in your substrate, for example. Luckily, a week is long enough to clear the infestation and clear the water of the added chemicals.

Ich is thought to only affect those with compromised immune systems, but a new move for an axolotl is stressful already. I think it'd be best to create an ideal environment for your new buddy. :happy:

Great!!! Thank you everyone!!

I will have Pics up as soon as the little guy is in his new home!!!

I've had great results with using Indian(catappa) almond tea leaves to treat fungus. It tints the water a light brown color for awhile but it always seems to do the trick :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back