Question: Feeding supplimental Blue Fin Tuna

SpongerSean

Reaction score
Country
United States
Quick question I've been searching the interwebs looking to see if it's okay to feed your axolotls tuna (Bluefin Tuna)? I live in Hawaii and we have an abundance of fish for relatively cheap prices. The only reason for this is to have a cheap supplement of lean protein until my worm farm starts kicking up (Red Wigglers). So the question is, is it okay to feed raw Bluefin Tuna to an axolotl:confused::confused::confused:

In an emergency, when other more suitable food is not available, fresh fish can be used. But ONLY if something more suitable cannot be sourced. Pellets are a better substitute if worms aren't available, as are bloodworms or blackworms.

Ask yourself this whenever you wonder whether an axie can eat something - would an axie eat this in the wild? It wouldn't eat tuna, but it might eat other little fishes.

While I was waiting for pellets to come in the mail, I did use salmon and ahi sashimi and frozen shrimp. I found the tuna was too "sticky" it fell apart in the water, and was hard to cut into bite size pieces, the salmon and shrimp were much easier to work with. Also, make sure to rinse off the saltwater. I found that my Axolotl would only accept VERY fresh fish. Once it had been in the fridge for 24 hours, it would smell it and turn away or taste it and spit it back out. Be especially careful not to over feed and keep the fish fresh because it can take a day or two to digest and the meat can still go bad while sitting in the axie's stomach.

Also, just curious, where did you get yours? I got mine from Kalihi pet store. Perhaps ours are siblings!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back