Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding fire salamanders (S.s.terrestris)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Well, as expected the gravid female S.s.terrestris has started depositing larvae! So far there's two and there was also one unfertilised egg. She's still spending quite a lot of time in the water dish in the evening. I'm looking forward to having more larvae, I have a question though. I won't be able to get any tiny live foods until Monday but I have some small frozen bloodworms, will they be ok on these until Monday? I could also try get some tiny live food from my pond.
Larvae:

Female in the water tray;

Stuart

sde

Reaction score
I would think that bloodworms would be ok, but I don't know for sure. However you can collect Daphnia etc. from a local pond. It is great food for the larvae and is free. Congrats on the larvae, and good luck!

physalia

Reaction score
they will be ok until monday. food from your pond risks introducing diseases/pathogens/parasites.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
There's now three larvae. I have got some tiny live food for them now, from my existing tanks. So, hopefully they'll be ok on this for a day or two.

Stuart

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Up to five larvae now, there were six but one was deposited on land and I didn't find it in time. I have put them in a 45 litre tank which has been set up for ages, it is full of aquatic plants and tiny insects, this should be fine until I get daphnia and tubifex on Monday and I'm ordering a grindal worm culture which should arrive Tuesday. The female has been moved to her own seperately tank in a dark room, the tank has 4cm of water with a hide and moss at one end which is above water. This seems to have settled her and she has deposited larvae every few hours since I moved her.

Stuart

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Just go straight to frozen food or pelleted food. Fire salamander larvae are easy to raise than almost anything else (just watch out for drowning at metamorphosis).

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I should be getting some live tubifex today and have loads of live bloodworm coming tomorrow or Wednesday. She has had a total of 23 larvae but one was born on land and died, so she's had 22 living. 3 are going to Jake (Jaffa Cake) so I have 19. I'm pretty sure she's done having larvae but I could be wrong, she's still quite a bit fatter than the other female but I think it's because she'll take a while to go back to normal size.

Stuart

stanleyc

Reaction score
Nice looking larvae and congrats! The tubifex worms should be great for them!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!