Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Diluting a Filter?

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Hello all!
My current tank is only 10 Gal but meets the minimum length & width dimensions for a single axolotl and our girl is 20cm long and 2 years old.

We brought 5 gal starter kit from a local store and it came with this pump.
When we upgraded to a 10 gal it came with a new filter but it was much to strong for our guppies and they couldn't swim in most of the tank due to the current so we brought the same filter for the 10gal as from the very vague information I read online it said that the filter should -just- be able to handle the sized tank we had and the flow is so minimal that I thought it'd be perfect.

It's been good so far and doesn't seem to be causing any problems for her and the flow doesn't even move her free floating java moss around, but I'm starting to worry that it's not strong enough for her tank because axolotls are a bit on the messier side. I've heard of people diluting the flow with a sponge and was wondering whether or not this'd work on the stronger filter and whether or not this filter would even be suitable regardless? Link to stronger filter.

I would also like to upgrade her tank in the near future to a 20gal and if I could dilute the flow of the stronger filter whether it'd be suitable for the new tank?

I really like the fact that you have easy access to the filter materials and whatnot but am cautious of buying any new filter as I'm not at all experienced with them and I don't want to buy things that I can't end up using. I've only has this kiddo for a week and she's my first axie so I'm a little lost. c':

Last edited:

Murk

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the flow being too strong.
I myself haven't seen any axolotl that was disturbed by flow. I sometimes catch them lying on the filter outflow, or with their head in the bubbles of the air pump. Not because they like the flow either, just because they don't care.
In my experience, axolotls don't like change - a filter that goes on and off, or sudden changes in water flow might bother them. But if it's a stable, regular flow, they don't mind.

It might depend on the individual, of course. Maybe all my axolotls are just weird. Since you already have a stronger filter you can try it out and see if you spot any signs of stress. If not (which I expect), you shouldn't have anything to worry about. If you have plants or hiding spots (I hope you do!), she might use those a bit more, but that's fine too. The filters you linked seem pretty tame.

---
That doesn't actually answer your question, of course, so I'll do that too ;)
Yes, it's possible to dilute the flow of the filter. Not entirely, of course. Filter media work, rocks work, plants work too. Just chuck them in front of the outflow. Turning the filter with the outflow to the wall of the aquarium helps a bit.
Most bigger filters come with a button or switch to regulate flow strength, so if it turns out to be too heavy you could always tone it down a bit (though it won't work as well, of course).

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the flow being too strong.
-snip

---
That doesn't actually answer your question, of course, so I'll do that too ;)
Yes, it's possible to dilute the flow of the filter. Not entirely, of course. Filter media work, rocks work, plants work too. -snip-

Thank you so much for the tips however I'm definitely going to get a few opinions before I do anything as I've already made a few mistakes that have taken a bit of a toll on the poor wee thing so I'd prefer to play it safe. c':

(I also do have plants an a nice big hide for her, just I'm worried those will actually get blown away with the flow. I know the plants will and I'm fairly certain it'll move her hide around as well, this thing is insanely strong compared to what I expected. c':)

---

The bigger (and stronger) filter isn't able to be adjusted unfortunately but I am very curious about the idea of using filter media to aid in diluting the flow. I was wondering how well this'd work and where/how I'd actually attach it to the filter?

elustig

Reaction score
Is there a way you could rig up a filter sponge in front of the outflow? You can get big mats of the sponge and cut it to the right size, maybe you can rubber band it to the outflow? I have never used that kind of filter, but I think you would be able to fix that! In my aquarium, I have the outflow land on some rocks and it does the job well

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Is there a way you could rig up a filter sponge in front of the outflow? You can get big mats of the sponge and cut it to the right size, maybe you can rubber band it to the outflow? I have never used that kind of filter, but I think you would be able to fix that! In my aquarium, I have the outflow land on some rocks and it does the job well

Ooooh that sounds like it might just work! Are rubber bands safe to use in aquariums? I might go for that and some rocks and see how we go, if that doesn't help it nothing will :lol:

Murk

Reaction score
Most rubber bands are aquarium safe, though of course there are some exceptions. They do break down over time, so you'll have to change them before there are small bits of rubber floating around.
Cotton thread is safe too (if it's pure cotton). It degrades too, but might feel safer, being organic and all.
I've heard about people using fishing line, but I've never done that.
If you're sure about what you're going to do, you could also use super glue. If it's purely cyano-acrylate based super glue it is aquarium safe and works like a charm.

KumquatSquats

Reaction score
Another method to reduce flow is to pin a media bag or similar fabric to the output (i've done this using the lid to keep it in place). If the bag is touching the surface of the water it should create a gentle flow that goes across the surface of the water instead of waterfalling all the way out.

TopsyTurvey

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help everyone, I ended up figuring out why this filter was so odd. I always assumed there was a reason but it always had two outflows and I could never figure it out, one was underneath all the media and the other was submerged underwater on the pump itself. The one underwater was the only one that really worked, the other just dripped so when I decided to put some sponge in the one submerged I opted to put in much heavier stuff than it needed to see what happened when that outflow was blocked and hallelujah- it fixed it. The flow now runs out of the proper outflow and the current isn't nearly as bad now that it's at the surface!

We'll for sure use it when she gets her bigger tank but for the moment we're missing some of the media it needs so we'll just wait as her tank doesn't really need the extra power at the moment. I could never figure out why the filter came with an extra rubber cap- I thought it went on that second outflow but it didn't quite fit and would always fall off so I thought nothing more of it. c:'

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!