The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Laws/Legality and Ethics Discussion of the laws affecting herpetology around the world. Species legalities in different jurisdictions, import/export of animals, the legalities of species collection and the ethical considerations of all of the above.

Old 22nd June 2018   #1
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Supreme court decision on sales tax

How do you think the recent Supreme Court decision on online sales tax collection will affect the online amphibian business?

michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: Supreme court decision on sales tax

I'm out of the loop; can you elaborate?

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2018   #3
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Companies did not have to pay state sales tax to a state unless they had a building or physical presence in that state. If you purchase something from an out of state vendor that vendor does not have to pay state sales tax on the item. This is one of the many advantages of internet sales.

A state sued for payment of state sales tax from out of state vendors. It went to the supreme court. The state won. States are now setting up plans to collect sales tax on internet and out of state sales. Nobody knows exactly how this will work. It could really complicate bookwork and eliminate some savings.

Currently I pay sales tax for sales to people in my state only. Under the new law it looks like I might be required to pay sales tax to every state I have sales in. The amount of tax would be small but the bookwork might be overwhelming.

Old 24th June 2018   #4
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11

That gave me a headache just reading it. I guess it'll be even more of a headache following it.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2018   #5
Michael Shrom
(michael)

Nationality:

Their will probably be a threshold level for state sales tax. If your sales fall under a certain amount you might not have to pay the sales tax. My guess is most salamander breeders don't pay the taxes no matter what level their sales fall at. I try to stay real close to legit.