The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 24th June 2019   #1
Jeff
(Jeff93)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Jeff93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Top FinŽ Slate Rock Aquarium Cave (Help)

Hey all.
I recently bought a third hide for my axolotl. It is a Top FinŽ Slate Rock Aquarium Cave so I got it home boiled it and I noticed it had a chemical/plastic smell, it is made of poly resin. It mostly went away I put in the tank but got paranoid to keep it in there and took it out. It doesn't smell anymore unless you go like right up to it and smell really good.
Here is a link to the item in question does anyone know if it's safe to put back in the tank?

https://www.petsmart.ca/fish/decor-g...ml?cgid=300201

Jeff93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2019   #2
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Top FinŽ Slate Rock Aquarium Cave (Help)

top fin stuff seems to be safe for axolotls but ive chosen to avoid using them after one hide cracked and i discovered the entire thing was hollow somehow and any hole allowed water to become trapped inside (toxic water factory, blah). right now im in the process of using silicone and slate slabs to make my own hides, the cost ends up being pretty close if you want to look into it.

so it should be ok but watch out for any holes or cracks just incase that one is like the one i got. i agree that the plastic or resin they use smells funny

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote