The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 1st June 2006   #1
dane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hi,
I bought a new axylotyl about two weeks ago and added it to the tank with my existing axylotyl. The new one is much bigger than my existing one. Since then, the old one has been getting smaller, and is looking very small and frail today. Its tail also looks shredded and gills look like they have been partially eaten.
He is in the fridge at the moment. I will try to post some photos tomorrow.
Can someone please give me some advice?
Thankyou,
Dane Rhoades

Old 1st June 2006   #2
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Well, you shud really have quarantined the new one for 30 days. If u didn't have a spare tank, any plastic tub/container/bucket wud do as a temporary tank. Bit late in the day to say but the new axie may have passed something onto your older axie.

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2006   #3
sharn

Gallery Images:
Comments:

if hes much bigger than your old one i think youll just have to seperate them until the smaller one catches up. either by divider or seperate tanks.

the little one will probably do fine in one of those plastic storage bins, as long as the big one cant get to him and hes getting his share of food he should get back to normal in no time.

Old 12th June 2006   #4
dane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thank you.
He is in a separate tank now and is beginning to look healthier. He is eating again now.
The new axolotl is a male.
Thanks again,
Dane.

Old 12th June 2006   #5
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Great to here that Dane!

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006   #6
g

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Im thinking of buying another axie, (a lil albino "rose" for my dark boy "axl") but im scared of what can happen. I have a 3ft tank, its almost full (cos he really likes swimming) has lots of plants and we will buy another hidey hole for it when we buy it.

my concerns are A)unplanned pregnancies and B)attacking each other (axl is very vicious and attacks my fingers when i stick my hand in the tank)

If i get one from the same place as I bought axl is there a chance they will get along (will they remember each other?) and will it lower the chance of parasites? They keep all the axies in the same tank and breed themselves.

Old 31st August 2006   #7
a

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I would be very careful to make sure they are of similar size - I just made that mistake.
Fortunately, I think Ari will be alright with a little work - but you REALLY need to be sure and keep a careful watch.

You're best giving them quarantine for a month too - even from the same place, it doesn't mean they will have the same problems/lack of problems.

Tags
added, axie, munched, smaller, tank

(View-All Members who have read this thread : 19 (Set)

axiegaz, AxyLOLA, caudataAxolotl, dazkeirle, Dentalcigo, Ellis, EmJ, halcy, jacquie09, jAfFa CaKe, jetta0127, Karayna, leahaxies, madink, Monocle, peatea, sweetchic85, vagrantfirefly, vampybabe