The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 29th September 2010   #1
misky99

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: misky99 has shown reliable knowledge
Default Tiger Salamander is not eating

I have noticed for the past 2 or 3 weeks my tiger has lost interest in eating. At first it seemed as though his appetite has decreased, but now it seems next to nothing. He has probably eaten only 5 crickets in the last two weeks. We feed them in a seperate tank and he spends his entire time trying to get out of the tank. Any insight ? I am worried he is only two years old and has been very healthy until recently?

misky99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010   #2
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11
Default Re: Tiger Salamander is not eating

How warm is the tank? What kind of substrate do you have in the regular tank, and how deep is it? How moist do you keep it? Why do you feed them in a separate tank?

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2010   #3
misky99

Nationality:

The tank has been quite warm recently because of this heat spell we have been having about 75 at the highest, I have this woodland type substrate I switched to in late July it is about 4 inches deep. I have the humidity at around 60% at the highest and I also provided a water bowl for them. I feed them in separate tanks just so it is easier for them to get the crickets, and I also do not have to hear the cricket noises when they are not caught.

Old 1st October 2010   #4
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Have you tried any other foods? Mine especially like earthworms and pinkie mice.

Old 1st October 2010   #5
misky99

Nationality:

I have not yet tried a different type of food, I will definitely have to try that, what type of substrate do you use for yours?

Old 1st October 2010   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:

I use a mix of organic topsoil and coco fiber. Usually 1:1 or 2:1 soil to coco fiber. I just eyeball it. The coco fiber helps the soil retain moisture, and helps it hold its shape when they burrow through it. My tigers have a pretty extensive tunnel system throughout the tank, but usually hang out under the water dish.

By taking the salamander out of the tank, you could be stressing it out to where it doesn't want to eat. Try offering it some wiggly worms in the tank and see if that doesn't do the trick.