The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 9th April 2013   #1
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 3
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Sorry, it's another post about poop >.< Is it normal for Axolotls to poop out worms as well as poop?

Fed Toothless 2 small worms from our garden today, yesterday she might have eaten a few bloodworms (I left them in with her while changing her water, she didn't eat the lot, just a few) and her very first live earthworm. Just looked in to check on her and found a small pile of poop surrounded by what looked like dead brown worms. They weren't moving, they just look like bloodworms with the colour drained out.

Have I accidentally given her parasites or is this just how bloodworm poop comes out? I didn't see much of it before because her tank was quite big, and I didn't know what was poop and what were just colourless bloodworms I missed. When I looked in the bin to check (she kept trying to eat it- eww! - so I got in there and hoovered it up) I realised it fell apart when the tissue I dumped it on was touched.
Is this just the poop that's produced when she eats bloodworms? Gross, I know, but it really scared me!

Old 9th April 2013   #2
CJ
(CJ1981)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: CJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.orgCJ1981 is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: Sorry, it's another post about poop >.< Is it normal for Axolotls to poop out worms as well as poop?

It's not unheard of for very well fed Axies to pass partially digested worms. We'd need pictures of the poop to be sure though (and I can't believe I just typed that!!)

Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions
CJ1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2013   #3
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Petersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and informationPetersgirl has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Sorry, it's another post about poop >.< Is it normal for Axolotls to poop out worms as well as poop?

Rule No 1 of the facts of being an Axxie parent; you will, without shame and discretion, talk about poop. Sometimes many times a day. And you will feel no mortification, for this is the realm of the Caudata people.

Oh my Gosh it's all coming true!

I think you're right. They were basically worm-shaped poops, when I touched them with a tissue they were sticky and a brown colour, and simply fell apart (hope you're not eating, sorry for the graphic description!)
I'll try and get a picture but I threw it all in the bin >< I'll post it tomorrow, hopefully before any major meals so no one feels a bit ill :)

Old 10th April 2013   #4
Alkylhalide
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Alkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and informationAlkylhalide has given consistently good advice and information

Lmao i see a post on poo at least once aday here! Its so weird how not weird poop is to an axie owner. I was super excited when my babies poop turned black because i stopped feeding them bbs(they use to come out as bbs shaped beads lmao)

I agree though it is not unheard of. If it doesnt come out one end undigested sometimes it will come out the other end normally they vomit though. But a picture would help verify! Yeah pictures of poop!

Alkylhalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2013   #5
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

It was all thrown away, I couldn't get a picture. For which I think everyone will be quite relieved XD!
I think they were just partially digested, thanks for the reassurance! :)

Old 10th April 2013   #6
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

Mine poops out whole bloodworms sometimes. I guess his water temp is too low for him to digest the food or he simply doesn't need to. I try not to feed him bloodworms now because they're so messy when feeding and also it seems they're messy poo too! He also eats his poo any chance he can get, I guess it saves us a job until the next time lol.

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013   #7
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Ewww! But so true! It was so weird today, I got my brand new dendrobaenas from an online supplier today but before they came I dug up two little worms in my garden just in case. I fed her the little worm and her new dendro, and she spat the garden ones out and just ate the dendro!
What a picky little madam! 'One rather likes these mail order worms from York-shy-er! More please!' >.<

Old 11th April 2013   #8
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information

Aye! Can't go wrong with some Yorkshire worms from t'internet!

Old 11th April 2013   #9
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Aye! They didn't come with curry sauce either. Don't do owt moist! >.<
My Dad comes from Rochdale :) I'm a halfbreed.

Old 11th April 2013   #10
Sharon
(shazza)

Nationality:
Rep: shazza is an unknown quantity at this point

So these yorkshire worms are the "Caviar" of worm world? :P My bugger thankfully is content with spam then... Good old Bunnings worms

shazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2013   #11
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

She certainly slurped them up like they were :) I just think it's funny that my axolotl gets more pressies in the post than I do! :)

Old 11th April 2013   #12
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Haha sorry I couldn't resist posting this! Ay up ay up ay up If it's outside yorkshire it's not worth vising!

Yorkshire Airlines - YouTube

Old 11th April 2013   #13
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Beks! That's hilarious! I have to show Dad, he'll love it!

We're like that in Cornwall too. Snotton TV (Comedy Alternative Tourist Guide to Cornwall) got it perfect:

Lady Being Interviewed: You see, I trained in London...
Cornish Man 1: Where's that then?
Cornish Man 2: North of Truro, ain't it?

>.<

Old 11th April 2013   #14
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

I also can't help singing this while feeding the worms:
fivepenny piece big jim - YouTube

Old 11th April 2013   #15
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Hahahahaha! Brilliant!

Old 11th April 2013   #16
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

People are going to be surprised when they click on a topic about poop and find a video about Yorkshire people...

Old 11th April 2013   #17
Sharon
(shazza)

Nationality:

http:// https://www.youtube.com/watc...e_gdata_player

This what i sing to mine sometimes.. just replace xxxx with earthworm.... i hope the link works

Old 11th April 2013   #18
Petersgirl
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Haha! For the first 40 seconds I was like, '...She sings this? But..there's no lyrics! What does she...oh, it does!'
LOL! I imagined your axxie looking up at you after eating, like, 'I can feel it! And it's WRIGGLY!'

Old 12th April 2013   #19
Sharon
(shazza)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petersgirl View Post
Haha! For the first 40 seconds I was like, '...She sings this? But..there's no lyrics! What does she...oh, it does!'
LOL! I imagined your axxie looking up at you after eating, like, 'I can feel it! And it's WRIGGLY!'

Hahahaa i should have said u need to wait for the words, laughing so hard i have tears!

Old 12th April 2013   #20
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGY2isAM91Y

Hehehehe