Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Photos. Dwarf or Giant Pyxie?

purplemuffin

Reaction score
Feel free to move this if it's in the wrong forum, i am never sure where to post about pyxies.

This is my boyfriend's sister's frog. We have been told different things by different people, some say it's a dwarf, others say it's a true giant.

294423_10150297610401937_664356936_8112411_4272276_n.jpg

296178_10150297610451937_664356936_8112412_3071122_n.jpg

311028_10150297610481937_664356936_8112414_725081_n.jpg

315963_10150297610526937_664356936_8112415_5647794_n.jpg

Curious if she was lied to or not. :confused: She searched forever looking for someone who had a true pyxie, and this guy promised that's what this was. It's doubled in size since she got him, but people still tell us it's likely a dwarf. It's about four inches long now I'd say.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
Hard to tell for sure, but it looks like an edible pyxie. Note that, despite the pet trade name, "dwarf" pyxies are NOT small frogs.

CB giant pyxies are harder to come by, and cost about 3x as much as edibles [wholesale]. While there are other traits, the most obvious is long continuous ridges on the giants and broken ridges or bumps on edibles.

purplemuffin

Reaction score
Well, it was about 40 dollars, so I guess it really might be a dwarf. I don't know the normal prices, but I guess that was pretty cheap for an animal that gets so big! I know dwarfs aren't small frogs--this one barely fits in my hand already! We had just been preparing for a monster sized frog! I'll have to tell Brooklyn her frog will probably just stay more reasonable for now. Hey, it's a good beginner frog for her at least, maybe when she gets used to caring for this guy we can get a true giant. She's done a great job feeding him/her and is changing the water all the time which is awesome.

We are looking for more frogs in the future. We are kind of focusing less on lizards and more on snakes/frogs! We want to get a few more pacman frogs(love them so much!) and maybe a white's tree frog or two. We might keep our eyes peeled a little harder for a true giant pyxie. We like our big big animals :) And we have the space for some pretty large tanks!

Thanks for the help! I'll look for the continuous ridges. I'll be with them next time most likely so I can help out. I guess I had noticed the ridges on them before, I just didn't think about it(thought maybe they developed with age, wasn't sure)

I am a little annoyed the guy lied, but he might have just not known!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1