Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

UK wc X.laevis

xxianxx

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to get in contact with anyone involved in the study or eradication of feral populations of X.laevis in the UK. I breed them and wish to add several wc wild type females to my existing breeding colonies, as any X.laevis capable of withstanding the UK weather and been subject to natural selection should add some very desirable genes to my bloodline. I live in South Wales and am aware of the feral population in Bridgend but do not wish to intefere with them as I believe that they may still be involved in a study of the invasive capabilities of the species. I will happily travel the UK to collect some of these frogs and would appreciate any help I can get.Thanks.

tgampper

Reaction score
You may want to contact R.C. Tinsley through the University of Bristol, he edited the book, The Biology of Xenopus (1996).

The European Xenopus Research Centre at the University of Portsmouth may be of assistance too.

There have been reported feral populations of Xenopus on the Isle of Wight (probably in a state of decline or disappeared); a large population was reported in southern Wales (1979); as well as established(?) populations in Kent and London. I am not sure of the current status of these populations.

Xenopus are well adapted to survive in extreme conditions and capable of migrating over land from one water area to another as conditions in their "home" becomes worse or want to establish new breeding areas. Since they are very adaptable, you may want to check out underground cisterns around old castles - they may provide a micro-habitat suitable for Xenopus. This species relies on detection of water currents through a lateral line system, hearing and smelling, but vision is not a key factor so they can live in low light areas.

Check out Aquatic Clawed Frogs on Frog Forum.

Good luck and keep us informed of your progress :lick:

xxianxx

Reaction score
BUMPING! Just keeping this thread alive, any help would be appreciated, I have found a source of wc wild type xenopus, xenopus express france, I can get three females delivered for £100 but I would be happy to spend that money on fuel and collect some if they were facing euthanasia. They would need quarantining for chytrid etc, I know about the chytrid treatment, would there be anything else I need to treat for and if so what would the treatment be ? thanks guys, hope you can help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!