How do you know if your frog is reticulated or wild-phase?

Reaction score
Country
United States
407321_10152371735195319_604638733_n.jpg

I know it's a poor quality picture, but it's the best I have until he gets to the new place and I can train the camera on him. From this, can anyone tell if he's reticulated or not? if it's too bad, how can I tell if he is or not?

I appreciate any help. Thanks.

I breed albino, golden albino and golden reticulated xenopus. It is hard to pick out the reticulated froglets, they dont show the reticulations very well, even if you pick the darkest looking ones they dont always develop a nice pattern. Your pick looks more wild type but I have only seen wild type xenopusfroglets in pics. The pic below is a female I bred early last year, I have two like that but I had to grow on about twenty to find the most patterned ones. If you keep them on a dark background they darken up a bit, it shows their pattern off, not something you read in the literature but several breeders I know have made the same observation.
xxianxx-albums-me-my-stuff-picture21336-reticulated-female-x-laevis.jpg

I have him on black and white sand, and he has those weird kind of markings on his back and legs, my phone makes a terrible camera. I'll have to grab the digital and snap some better photos.

It doesnt look very big, the reticulated pattern doesnt tend to stand out till they are quite a bit bigger, at least in my own frogs it doesnt. Do you know what the parents were?

He's bigger than a quarter.
And unfortunately I don't, he's a fish store frog. All 3 of mine are.

From my own experience which is based only on breeding lighter morphs I would say that that frog is a wildtype, even the heavily marked adult reticulated look plain when they are babies, the pics below are of my newly morphed froglets, the black colouring is actually their gut , their colouration is light yellow at the moment, they will be a mix of albino, golden albino and reticulated.
xxianxx-albums-me-my-stuff-picture25898-new-morphed-frogs-well-technically-still-not-fully-morphed-got-tail-stumps-1-2-long.jpg

Here's a somewhat better picture of his crazy spots all over.
430644_10152389841745319_1076473764_n.jpg

I looked up reticulated frogs, and the only picture I found that looked like him was an ADF, not an ACF, so who knows what that frog really was... Either way, I like him and his spots.

It is an acf, the pic in this post is an adf you can clearly see the difference between the two. Adf have webbed front feet, eyes on the side of the head and a more bumpy texture to the skin, acf have eyes on the top of the head, front feet are not webbed and a smoother skin. Your little guy is a wild type acf. Nice looking little frog.
http://www.flippersandfins.net/Images/ADF/eggs008.JPG

I meant "Who knew whether the reticulated ADF who showed up in my search for reticulated ACF's was actually a reticulated frog?"

Frankie (my frog) thanks you for the compliment. ;) He's gotten CHUNKY since I brought him home, but the one that has come the furthest of the two is my albino, Stella. She was so emaciated she was concave everywhere, now she's double the size overall, fat and happy. I actually thought I was too late to save her!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back