ACFs first encounter

Tarabull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tara
I've had my ACFs for a long time now but I'm new to this forum. I thought I would share q picture of when I added an albino friend in with my wild colored one.

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 521
What species are they ? what do you feed them ? and how old are they? they look nice.

They are African clawed frogs. They are both a little over a year old. I feed mainly earthworms and guppies, once in a great while bloodworms and krill, and ghost shrimp when they find them.

They are African clawed frogs. They are both a little over a year old. I feed mainly earthworms and guppies, once in a great while bloodworms and krill, and ghost shrimp when they find them.

There are about twenty species of acf, the one most commonly found in the pet trade is X.laevis. You might want to increase the feeding levels at a year old they should have put on some body mass, juvies tend to be skinnier than adults. They look fine but a bit more weight wouldnt hurt, have you sexed them yet? Pic of my breeding group bellow, you can see the difference, they range in age from six to two years old
xxianxx-albums-me-my-stuff-picture24131-acf-breeding-colony.jpg

Sorry I should have been clear that it was an old photo of when I bought the albino and they were still young. They are nice, plump and a lot bigger. I rescued the wild one from a pet store that her owner released to them because she ate their guppies (morons). I then bought what I thought was another female just to find out my albino is a male. No babies from them. The female isn't interested which is fine by me since I don't want to breed them.

If the female is gravid , cold water or a high pressure weather front can trigger egg laying. Have a think about raising some eggs, they are easy to look after and interesting to watch, I have a batch of 300+ tads at the moment but a small tub/tank with ten in would be minimal effort , the tads can be raised on liquidised spinach.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back