Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pellets

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Xenopus Express pellets? I just ordered some, and would like to know how others' frogs have liked it?

I've also heard of people using Omega One turtle sticks. Has anyone had any success with this?

I tried the live diet for my boys, but they're too lazy to catch anything bigger than guppy fry. So, I'm going to try a couple of pellets. I currently have them on F/D Gammarus and microcrab pellets. They occasionally eat spirulina flakes that I throw in for the guppies and snails.

Tarabull

Reaction score
Are they full grown? If so then earthworms are great food for them. If they are small you have to cut them up. Some eat the pellets. One of mine will eat the turtle sticks. If you have a gravel bottom on your tank you should be careful that they don't eat some of it while hunting down & eating the pellets that fall to the bottom. I have given mine blood worms too & trained them to eat it as it falls from a straw or turkey baster. This should only be a treat & again be careful with gravel bottoms. I like to give a variety of foods with the staples being earthworms & guppies to ensure a balanced diet.

Good luck,
Tara

Reaction score
They're both about 3" INCLUDING legs. I don't think they're quite there, yet.

When feeding earthworms, is there any sort of special preparation for feeding? I've heard stories of pets getting sick from using worms from the store.

I don't give them bloodworms, because all we have are Freeze dried, and heard those could make them sick, and we have silica sand on the bottom. They both scrounge through the plants and the surface for food. Apparently, there's never anything tasty on the bottom. :rolleyes:

I've also given them a treat of live blackworms, which they LOVED, and their shrimp slurped like spaghetti!

I was wondering about the different kinds of food to offer them, because I recently received a $25 giftcard to PetCo, and I don't like a whole lot of anything they carry, and they don't carry any aquatic frog food, just crickets, mealworms, fruitflies, and springtails. While I'm sure my boys would inhale the fruitflies and springtails, I'm not sure if those are healthy for them, and the only other alternative are Omega One turtle sticks.

Maybe they'll get UN-lazy, and eat the guppies I put in there for them AFTER the fry stage! Spoiled brats!

Thank you for the suggestions! We're going to start looking around for worms!

xxianxx

Reaction score
I ordered the 2mm sinking pellets, they are a bit large for newly morphed froglets but the ones that have grown on a bit seem to like them but they are very greedy and will eat anything they can put in their mouths. I havent ordered the bigger pellets for my adults yet, they mainly get earthworms (90% of their diet) with beetle grubs, endlers , roaches and shrimp.

Reaction score
I had to get the floating, because the boys don't scrounge the floor for food. >_< Maybe they've forgotten that they're frogs?

Reaction score
I got my pellets yesterday (finally picked them up today though), threw some into the frog tank, and the boys went WILD!!!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!