Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Are Hymenichorus salt intolerant?

xxianxx

Reaction score
One of my female adf picked up a bit of fungus on its toe last week, I was quite surprised as my colony of 2.6.0 has always been healthy. They had been laying and I assumed the female had scuffed her foot when scrabbling about whilst in amplex and had got a fungal infection from the wound, not that there was any evidence of injury. I separated her in a tub and added almond leaves.The following day the fungus had engulfed her foot and the day after it was up to her knee. As the almond leaf was appearing to have little effect I then salt bathed her , within a couple of minutes she was on her back on the bottom of the tank. I pulled her out , rinsed her off with her tub water and placed her back in the tub after dropping the water level to an inch, she was quite active latter in the day and was feeding. the following day the fungus had not increased and looked to be dying off but as the spread had been so fast I salt bathed the her again in a weaker saline solution, again after a couple of minutes she was on her back and unresponsive. I put her back in the tub with a small amount of water covering her, she was breathing but died during the night. I have two questions which I hope can be answered, firstly are hymenichorus generally sensitive to salt bathing ? Secondly , as I appear to have a very nasty form of fungus in my tank what treatment would be appropriate if any of my other adf pick it up ? I am in the process of moving them to a different tank and will be nuking the first with bleach to kill everything in there.

oceanblue

Reaction score
Is this relevant? It sounds rather different to the symptoms your frog showed:

An epizootic of cutaneous zygomycosis in cultured dwarf African clawed frogs (Hymenochirus curtipes) due to Basidiobolus ranarum.

Groff JM, Mughannam A, McDowell TS, Wong A, Dykstra MJ, Frye FL, Hedrick RP.
Source

Department of Medicine, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Davis 95616.

Abstract

Morbidity and mortality approaching 100% occurred in dwarf African clawed frogs (Hymenochirus curtipes) from a culture facility in central California. Moribund frogs exhibited preference for a terrestrial environment rather than their normal aquatic environment. Affected animals had a slight pallor of the integument but were otherwise grossly unremarkable. Microscopic examination revealed a fungal infection of the integument primarily characterized by the presence of surface and intra-epidermal conidia. Skin cultures of the infected animals yielded an organism identified as Basidiobolus ranarum, based on the formation of conidia in culture with internal cleavage to form sporangiospores. The organism was transmitted to healthy frogs by co-habitation with infected frogs but not by short-term immersion exposure of healthy frogs to homogenized broth cultures of the fungus. Benzalkonium chloride at 2.0 mg l-1 was efficacious in controlling the infection. Although Basidiobolus species are normally found in the intestinal tract of amphibians, the severity of this epizootic indicates that B. ranarum may be an important pathogen of amphibians reared in culture facilities.

PMID:1941429 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Benzalkonium chloride is a quaternary ammonium detergent disinfectant which is available in some cleaners. It is cheap online but may be cheaper allowing for postage at local agricultural merchants.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I have no way to determine what the fungus actually was , it was just a white fluffy mass on the leg. The first salt bathing halted its spread and it lost some of the growth, the frog was active and feeding before the bath and several hours after it but showed an adverse reaction to the high strength salty water. A lower strength bath the following day had the same effect and I think this was the cause of death not the fungus itself.

corientalis

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with tadpoles and froglets, nor almond leaves, xantacridin and salt helped, sick ones died anyway. Enrofloxacin cured the survivors.

xxianxx

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with tadpoles and froglets, nor almond leaves, xantacridin and salt helped, sick ones died anyway. Enrofloxacin cured the survivors.

Thanks, was this a one off attack or has it reoccurred ? If the frogs were Hymenochirus how did they respond to salt bathing ?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1